• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UltraBoard alternative?

JPR-5690

Anyone know of an alternative to UltraBoard/Gatorboard for basic signage that needs to be moisture resistant (i.e. sidewalk signs)?

I originally started using Bubble-X for basic mounted signs as an alternative to UltraBoard because its cheaper, a whole lot easier to cut by hand, and technically its recyclable (we're big on being an eco-friendly printer).
Problem is that general SAV doesn't adhere well to the surface texture and the extrusion isn't always even so you can see differences in texture on the finished piece.
We don't get that many orders for it so it doesn't really make sense to stock a high-tack SAV just for this one product.

Curious if there's another substrate out there we don't know about.

Should we just use UltraBoard instead and charge more?

Bonus question - is there a trick to cutting UB by hand without the edges bending?

JPR-5690

We avoid PVC unless it's necessary.
Partly because of the fact that it's PVC, partly because the hassle with static/cutting it by hand.

I was looking at Grimco's super smooth coroplast but I've never worked with it before.

Think it's worth getting some sheets to try out?

Last edited:

signheremd

Cutting Ultraboard - use a straight edge, use a sharp blade (I use an Xacto), first cut use next to no pressure as it is a scoring cut, second pass a little weight, but start with blade on table so the edge will ride onto the material, third pass full weight and should go all the way through. Be sure you do not rotate your xacto as you go - most people will if they do not think about it. Main thing is scoring cut without pressure, and then applying pressure before the blade touches the material.