• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

understanding JV3 firmwares

PDD

Hi I have a couple of JV3 printers. One has V5.1 firmware installed and the other is V7.2. I have tried going through the mimaki website and searching only but I can't find a listing of the various firmware revisions that were issued by Mimaki and what issues they fix/address.

Most manufacturers will list a file of the firmware version history with notes listing the firmware version number, date issued, and what problems are correct or behaviours changed. Does that document exist or does someone know what the various common versions are.

I don't know whether or not its a good idea to update my V5.x printer if it runs well. Don't want to put a problem into it, but on the other hand if there is some killer feature or important fix it addresses then it probably would be a good idea. But there is not enough info I can find to make that decision intelligently and I have been burned by firmware updates before so I am careful about this.

Thanks for any insight into this.

On a side note is there a real service manual available for these printers (I have a 75 and 130spII) There is an Operations Manual and a very helpful Mechanical Drawing/Assembly Manual but I have not found here or on the yahoo site a real maintenance manual. If you have something can you let me know. Thank you very much. -Brent

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Mimaki does not make firmware or service manuals available to the public. That being said they are easy enough to find. Updating firmware on a Mimaki is a bit tricky though - not click and go like the motherboard in your computer. First must boot the printer in one mode and backup the machine paramenters (will need the prm file for this part). Then boot the printer again in a different mode (firmware update mode) and upgrade the firmware. Then reboot it a third time in paramenter mode and restore the machine parameters. Dont always need to do the parameters part though - depends on the firmware version and if the new version overwrites or defaults the parameters. Definitley want to have them backed up just in case regardless though.

Should be a few threads in here with the service manual - not the easiest to follow since they are in Engrish. The final firmware for a JV3 was 7.3. 5.x is a pretty old version - personally I'd update that one to the same as the other machine. That way both are consistent on menu options, etc.