• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Understanding optically clear laminate / Laminating reflective vinyl

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I asked my supplier if I can/should over-laminate reflective vinyl I'm putting on a roadside sign. They said yes, I should use 'optically clear' laminate. So two questions...

1) What constitutes 'optically clear' laminate? I currently use Arctic Lustre from GBC/Seal - would that be considered optically clear? If yes, what wouldn't be considered OC?

2) SHOULD I over-laminate reflective vinyl (not printed, just die-cut). Always? Never? Depends? I have printed an image on base permanent vinyl and now want to overlay reflective lettering onto part of the sign. I was then intending on laminating those two layers with the lustre.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Arctic Lustre has a matte texture, therefore it is not optically clear. Optically clears are generally cast, glossy and use an adhesive that when adhered to glass you can see right through it as if it weren't there.... i.e. optically clear without any aberration.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Arctic Lustre has a matte texture, therefore it is not optically clear. Optically clears are generally cast, glossy and use an adhesive that when adhered to glass you can see right through it as if it weren't there.... i.e. optically clear without any aberration.
Thanks for the reply. I just did a test with it with a flashlight, and it appears to reflect just as well as the non-laminated version. Could this worsen over time or should I be safe to use it? Client would prefer not to use gloss across the sign.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Using a Matte Laminate over reflective is an inherent No No. Matte by nature will refract light away from the viewer; meaning reflectivity will be significantly reduced and not directed to the viewer properly.

To answer your question about laminating reflective... The answer is yes and no. It all depends on requirements and longevity.

Asuma01

I've never had an issue using normal gloss lam over eng. reflective. I don't think optically clear is necessary. Also I only lam reflective sheeting if its been printed on. Again never had an issue with longevity.

unclebun

There is absolutely no reason to overlaminate cut reflective vinyl. It will, in fact, degrade the look of the sign because the laminate will bridge at the edges of letters, leaving essentially a line of air bubble around every letter. The reflective signs you would laminate are the printed ones because they are smooth and it increases the longevity of the ink. The vinyl/print systems for that kind of letter will use a specified laminate, and it will not be optically clear laminate, which isn't usually as thick and often has shorter durability life. Using cut vinyl, you will be making a sign that lasts longer than a printed one already, if you are using the right reflective product.

A matte reflective sign is an oxymoron.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
There is absolutely no reason to overlaminate cut reflective vinyl. It will, in fact, degrade the look of the sign because the laminate will bridge at the edges of letters, leaving essentially a line of air bubble around every letter. The reflective signs you would laminate are the printed ones because they are smooth and it increases the longevity of the ink. The vinyl/print systems for that kind of letter will use a specified laminate, and it will not be optically clear laminate, which isn't usually as thick and often has shorter durability life. Using cut vinyl, you will be making a sign that lasts longer than a printed one already, if you are using the right reflective product.

A matte reflective sign is an oxymoron.
Thank you so much. I found an old thread around this topic and there was debate over what/not to do. I really appreciate your assessment. We ended up over-laming the print and tehn applied the die-cut reflective vinyl over top. Looks great imho.

unclebun

Thank you so much. I found an old thread around this topic and there was debate over what/not to do. I really appreciate your assessment. We ended up over-laming the print and tehn applied the die-cut reflective vinyl over top. Looks great imho.

Now it makes sense. I didn't understand that there was a printed sign involved. And you did it the right way. Laminate the print, then apply cut vinyl over the top of that. In that case, if the print was not on reflective, matte would work.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Loving this forum. So helpful to us and I look forward to eventually being able share our own experience. For what it's worth, Arctic lustre seems like semi-gloss or satin to me. It was also sold to us that way as an in between matte and gloss. Again, laying the reflective over the lam seems to have worked out well.

Forty One

Also, most reflective vinyls have a lifespan of about 2 years. (generally).
Laminating is a waste of material and time