• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

University of Virginia is hiring

University of Virginia has it's own in house sign shop. They do the whole nine yards, ADA, engraving, banners, street signs, vinyl work and pretty much the whole shebang except electric. You can find the link to job postings here,
Scroll to the bottom of the page hit the careers link and do a search for Sign Shop to view the position. Some may be turned off by base pay but after the benefits package and the fact they buy all your uniforms, jackets, boots and provide tools it turns out to be a great offer.
Good luck if anybody is interested, I am liking it here so far.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Met a guy getting out of a similar position in a hospital. Biggest problem was it was a one man show, 10 ada signs, 10 vinyl signs, and 25 name changes/corrections in a week. So he'd hike to each 'job site', get the info from the 'customer', generate art, await approval, produce signs, hike back out, install, then come back and do the billing for the 'customer'. Oh, and his shop was a 20'x20' dark corner in the basement of the oldest building, with an engraver, plotter, printer, and a 5x5 work table in the middle. It was absurd the amount of work that started off fine for one guy 30 years ago, and has ballooned into a 3 man operation that they'll never expand beyond 1.
What are you talking about burton?

jochwat

Graphics Department
Beats me. Grasping at straws to find a productive thread I guess. Biggest takeaway is that in-house sign shop positions are often set up by one sweaty try-hard that is finally leaving his post after 20 years, and the workload is tremendous for anybody stepping into their shoes.
But at least they provide the shoes.

Beats me. Grasping at straws to find a productive thread I guess. Biggest takeaway is that in-house sign shop positions are often set up by one sweaty try-hard that is finally leaving his post after 20 years, and the workload is tremendous for anybody stepping into their shoes.
They have been building the sign shop up here for years. We currently have a crew of 8 guys and looking to expand. They are starting to cross train everyone here starting with me when I came on (mainly because I have been making signs for 30+ years and needed almost not training). The shop has a UV printer and CNC router that are both about two years old and they are adding a laser engraver soon on top of all the other necessary equipment to be a self sufficient sign shop. Biggest drawback is that we are tied into the special events crew and have to work graduation/events set up and tear down. Although I hear the overtime those weeks is insane. But I totally know where Burton is coming from.

A free uniform and boots?! Score! Will help keep me cozy living under a bridge when I can't make rent.

No wonder no one wants to be employed anymore.
I have been working in the private sector for years struggling to make ends meet, because nobody can "afford" good help. This job literally saved my butt financially and I finally have an opportunity to start saving money that the state of 'Virginia matches plus some. I finally have good health insurance that I pay almost nothing for on my end and don't have to rely in Medicaid in VA anymore, which by the way covered my family OK but would only provide birth control or a vasotomy for me because I am a guy. So y'all can make as much fun of the job as you want but it's the best paying job I have ever had. I was only trying to give someone else out there who might be looking a helping hand.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have been working in the private sector for years struggling to make ends meet, because nobody can "afford" good help. This job literally saved my butt financially and I finally have an opportunity to start saving money that the state of 'Virginia matches plus some. I finally have good health insurance that I pay almost nothing for on my end and don't have to rely in Medicaid in VA anymore, which by the way covered my family OK but would only provide birth control or a vasotomy for me because I am a guy. So y'all can make as much fun of the job as you want but it's the best paying job I have ever had. I was only trying to give someone else out there who might be looking a helping hand.
I always have felt that state jobs are a good long term move. The ones that complain are the ones who have never worked at one or are jealous because of the perks and stability it affords their employees. A job is more than just a wage so congrats on the new position.

Now offering to pay gas and for one pair of boots to any new hires!

Hey now that's great. Didn't mean to knock it, really, just had met this poor guy who was happy as hell to get out. Of course he was one man, and by the time he explained how they had to bill everything individually, I was really holding back laughing out loud at him. Glad to hear they have a good team put together there!
LOL, that's the worst part of the job, the never-ending paperwork.