• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

unknown design scale...

Kwiksigns

wookie
So I have never seen someone use this for a scale (see attached). I figured there was a scale somewhere, not just what is on there. Has anyone seen this before? Am I missing something that makis this much easier than a ratio?

I just thought I guess I could make a box and scale the whole thing to a 48" box and hope that the size is correct... I am going to go measure them just to make sure anyway cause it seems absolutely stupid someone would think not to include the ratio they used when designing...

Attachments

• busscale.jpg
    busscale.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 114
PITA Not too bad though. I believe this is an engineer thing. They like scale by size not by ratio. They are setting it so you can measure the paper with a ruler and measure all the little parts not for blowing up the image for print. Set a line with two points one on 0 and the other on 48. Scale proportionately until your line is 48"

Kwiksigns

wookie
PITA Not too bad though. I believe this is an engineer thing. They like scale by size not by ratio. They are setting it so you can measure the paper with a ruler and measure all the little parts not for blowing up the image for print. Set a line with two points one on 0 and the other on 48. Scale proportionately until your line is 48"

That is exactly what I did and the bus came out to about 7'x35' and that doesn't seem feasible, so I thought I was missing something.

shoresigns

This, or you can just check the size of the line you draw and divide it into 48, then scale up by that many time. Illustrator lets you type in a percentage into the width/height inputs. It's really simple math, and you've got to know it if your job is designing signs. I use this exact process many times a week, scaling photos for mockups and so on.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Can anyone tell me generally what a bus like this goes for? It was just a one-off and not repeat business. I think I quoted between 9-10k but I did not get the job. To make it worth my time, that is what I needed to get. I know the guy just went with the cheapest place but less just seems like not enough. Is that normal or maybe some people do buses cheap?