• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"UNRECOVERABLE LIMIT SENSOR" error. Can't run limit inititalizing procedure.

Splattgraphics

Crashed my XC 540 Roland, at first I got scan motor error, then when I went to do limit initializin, it went to 'Unrecoverable limit sensor". So: ?new sensor? or can I test it somehow? Same for scan motor?

Splattgraphics

Try cleaning both the sensor and the encoder strip and retry, if you've not already done that.
Sure did. Is the limit sensor the one that straddles the encoder strip, or is that the one that reads the bracket above the cutting head? the sensor map says it's the one above the cutting head, stationary on the back wall. Well anyway, I cleaned them both to no avail. HEY WAIT! WITH NO RHYME OR REASON, THE INITIALIZATION WENT THROUGH! Looks like we're good to go, I just wish I knew why... Well, thanks for thinking of me anyway.

Last edited:

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I'm not 100% familiar with your model, but the encoder sensor is the one that runs over the encoder strip. It would make sense that the limit sensor would be on the cutting carriage, as, at least on my SP-300V, it is only the cutting carriage that does the limit initialization.

Maybe to understand what is going on better you can explain what happened to get you to this point, what do you mean by crashed, did it have a head strike and jam up?

Vassago

Usually sensors get dirty and stick On.

Got to be careful with the encoder strip as that can get snagged

Splattgraphics

I'm not 100% familiar with your model, but the encoder sensor is the one that runs over the encoder strip. It would make sense that the limit sensor would be on the cutting carriage, as, at least on my SP-300V, it is only the cutting carriage that does the limit initialization.

Maybe to understand what is going on better you can explain what happened to get you to this point, what do you mean by crashed, did it have a head strike and jam up?
Yup. That is what happened, twice actually. I left the head in low position and tried to print bannerstock. The head separated once jamming from the right, then from the left. I think I took a little print head damage in the debacle, but gonna do a good soak and clean, & hopefully get most or all of it back.

Splattgraphics

Usually sensors get dirty and stick On.

Got to be careful with the encoder strip as that can get snagged
On my t shirt press, position sensors show a light when on. I wish these did that, it'd be easier to tell...but I think that is partly what happened here.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I would clean both the encoder strip and sensor, then try the limit initialization again. If it keeps giving you issues you could replace both, neither are very expensive, should be able to get them at sign-in-china.com

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The limit sensor is a an interrupt sensor on the rail near the docking position. A metal flag sticks out the back of the carriage and interrupts it when it's at the home position. It's possible that sensor or flag got knocked out of place or damaged. You can test it in service mode in the sensor menu. It will show an asterisk when it's tripped. If you move the carriage to the home position and it doesn't show the asterisk, the sensor is most likely bad or out of position.

Also when doing the limit position, make sure the carriage is actually locked when it tells you to put it in the home position. It can be hard to get it locked because if you push too far right, it will unlock. You want to slowly move it right until you hear a click, then push it left to verify it's locked. If it's not locked when you hit the enter key, the limit position will fail.