• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrade from 335 to 700w?

Chosen23

One man shop
I have had my 335 for over 5 years have been very happy with it overall. Considering moving to the 700 series but wanted some shop opinions if anyone has done the same similar jump an was it worth it? I do need the white as well. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
I have had my 335 for over 5 years have been very happy with it overall. Considering moving to the 700 series but wanted some shop opinions if anyone has done the same similar jump an was it worth it? I do need the white as well. Thanks in advance.

I have the 700w. For the most part it’s been good. It’s slow to start up but once you start printing for the day it has good output. You’ve got to be diligent in storing the white printheads when not needed because the automatic maintenance on this machine seems to devour white ink like there’s no tomorrow. I’ve found that I’m saving quite a bit of ink and maintenance cartridge by turning the printer off at end of day and just turning it back on in the morning rather than letting it go into its sleep phase where it will wake itself up periodically to perform the maintenance.

If I had to do it over again I’d look at the Mimaki ujv100-160. The unlaminated prints of the uv hold up better from tests I’ve seen. I’m not totally sure what the required maintenance is on the uv printers but if it’s as hands-off as the hp latex I’d say it’s an option.

All things considered, I’m happy enough with my 700w that if I had enough work to justify two printers I’d buy a second 700.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I have the 700w. For the most part it’s been good. It’s slow to start up but once you start printing for the day it has good output. You’ve got to be diligent in storing the white printheads when not needed because the automatic maintenance on this machine seems to devour white ink like there’s no tomorrow. I’ve found that I’m saving quite a bit of ink and maintenance cartridge by turning the printer off at end of day and just turning it back on in the morning rather than letting it go into its sleep phase where it will wake itself up periodically to perform the maintenance.
Oh man no wonder you have problems if you are shutting it down :doh:
Never shut it down!

Chosen23

One man shop

If I had to do it over again I’d look at the Mimaki ujv100-160. The unlaminated prints of the uv hold up better from tests I’ve seen. I’m not totally sure what the required maintenance is on the uv printers but if it’s as hands-off as the hp latex I’d say it’s an option.

All things considered, I’m happy enough with my 700w that if I had enough work to justify two printers I’d buy a second 700.

I appreciate the input, I forgot to mention I already do own a UCJV300-130 uv printer with white and had that for about 4 years not white is solid and doesn’t waist much at all just cycles it for the most part.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
Oh man no wonder you have problems if you are shutting it down :doh:
Never shut it down!
Ah yes, of course I'd get that response. Believe it or not, shutting it down every night has been the solution, not the problem. I should have prefaced my comment with the fact that I've had it for a year and during the first 9 months I let it idle and NEVER shut it down in fear that I was preventing problems with the white ink system. I did everything I was supposed to do and all of my HP techs confirmed that. It was actually suggested to me by HP techs to turn it off each day. After starting to do that I have fewer problems now than I did back when I let it stay idle over night and the bonus is I am saving on ink and maintenance cartridge usage by doing it this way. My problems are purely a faulty piece of equipment, which HP acknowledges, and it is also why they are replacing my unit with a brand new one rather than just replacing various parts here and there.

Heres to hoping that I'll be up and running with a new HP700W in a couple weeks and wont have any of the aforementioned problems. Its really a great machine when its working properly.

stickerhed

Ah yes, of course I'd get that response. Believe it or not, shutting it down every night has been the solution, not the problem. I should have prefaced my comment with the fact that I've had it for a year and during the first 9 months I let it idle and NEVER shut it down in fear that I was preventing problems with the white ink system. I did everything I was supposed to do and all of my HP techs confirmed that. It was actually suggested to me by HP techs to turn it off each day. After starting to do that I have fewer problems now than I did back when I let it stay idle over night and the bonus is I am saving on ink and maintenance cartridge usage by doing it this way. My problems are purely a faulty piece of equipment, which HP acknowledges, and it is also why they are replacing my unit with a brand new one rather than just replacing various parts here and there.

Heres to hoping that I'll be up and running with a new HP700W in a couple weeks and wont have any of the aforementioned problems. Its really a great machine when its working properly.
I have a 700w as well and have problem with it. Can you tell me what problems shutting the printer down at night help with?

artofacks1

Hey what problems did you have? Any chance on getting on the phone and having a conversation? I just bought a 700w that should be delivered next week.

artofacks1

Because the white ink has to circulate and the white print heads rotate every 30 minutes when not installed to keep the ink from settling.
Makes sense, from what I understand there isn’t any waste with the Latex when doing the circulation and rotations of the white ink.

I’m wondering what problems the OP had that he had to shut his down.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Makes sense, from what I understand there isn’t any waste with the Latex when doing the circulation and rotations of the white ink.

I think the waste for him comes from keeping the heads in carriage often while not using it (night time).
But he just gets more problems but shutting it down and blocking the recirculation. It's obvious if hes prints take over 5 minutes to start all the time.

artofacks1

I think the waste for him comes from keeping the heads in carriage often while not using it (night time).
But he just gets more problems but shutting it down and blocking the recirculation. It's obvious if hes prints take over 5 minutes to start all the time.
Your post about the hp latex was what pulled me into the hp latex 700w I ordered vs the UV jvcu by the way. I hope HP gives you some sort of commission lol

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Your post about the hp latex was what pulled me into the hp latex 700w I ordered vs the UV jvcu by the way. I hope HP gives you some sort of commission lol
Well not really. But it's fun to discuss and I have some knowledge on the topic. Too bad they didn't make the machine great, there was definitely potential for more.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur

So there is a problem with my white ink recirculation. When it is going through its recirculation cycle it actually leaks white ink. The maintenance cartridge gets covered in white ink and because its so saturated it then gets all of the other printheads saturated in white ink. When I am printing throughout the day it is using white ink so it doesnt need to perform all of the maintenance it does when it is just sitting idle. Its during the maintenance cycles that all of the problems occur. So i was instructed to turn the printer off when I am done for the day, then turn it back on the next day when I am ready to use it. I almost exclusively print on substrates requiring white ink so I dont feel I need to take the white printheads out each day only to put them back in in the morning. As I mentioned before, these were the instructions given to me by HP technicians as a "make do" until my new printer comes in. I am happy to report that it arrives monday and hopefully I can get them out here to set it up during the week.

I fully expect the new printer to run with no problems. The more I use this HP latex the more I like it. It has its limitations and its issues just like any other printer but overall I'd buy another one if I had the work to justify it. I honestly think my printer was an earlier run before they got some of the problems figured out. The newer production printers are said to be significantly less troublesome.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So there is a problem with my white ink recirculation. When it is going through its recirculation cycle it actually leaks white ink. The maintenance cartridge gets covered in white ink and because its so saturated it then gets all of the other printheads saturated in white ink. When I am printing throughout the day it is using white ink so it doesnt need to perform all of the maintenance it does when it is just sitting idle. Its during the maintenance cycles that all of the problems occur. So i was instructed to turn the printer off when I am done for the day, then turn it back on the next day when I am ready to use it. I almost exclusively print on substrates requiring white ink so I dont feel I need to take the white printheads out each day only to put them back in in the morning. As I mentioned before, these were the instructions given to me by HP technicians as a "make do" until my new printer comes in. I am happy to report that it arrives monday and hopefully I can get them out here to set it up during the week.

I fully expect the new printer to run with no problems. The more I use this HP latex the more I like it. It has its limitations and its issues just like any other printer but overall I'd buy another one if I had the work to justify it. I honestly think my printer was an earlier run before they got some of the problems figured out. The newer production printers are said to be significantly less troublesome.
I've seen it as well, too bad the new unit won't really fix it as it happens because of broken printhead. Well it will for the time being as it comes with brand new printheads... but I hope it fixes your other issues whatever you may have.
Next time you get it on your new unit, replace the printhead asap.

1678472384727.png

Last edited:

nolanola

Hello. May I ask you to describe the repalcement process? Did you talk to the dealer or HP? How many tech visits took place before the replacement option was offered?
We also have a faulty HP latex 700W and the communication is not going very well.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
Well, our first 700w worked for a couple months until all of the ink lines leaked everywhere inside the printer. We were down for about 4 weeks. After that it was monthly, each time down for 1-2 weeks. At the 11 month mark I asked for a refund or a new printer and got a new one. It arrived new in box but did not work so we waited a couple weeks for the fix. It worked for a few weeks then started doing the same crap the original printer did.

The original purchase was through grimco and I notified them I wanted a refund. They simply asked that I put in another service ticket with HP so they could send a tech out to diagnose the problem. After giving them the opportunity to repair the printer I could decide if I wanted it or not.

I can say that the service provided by both HP and grimco were excellent up until I asked for a refund. They processed my refund but ghosted all of my calls during the refund process.

I now outsource primarily to signs365 and couldn’t be happier. They’ve been a game changer for me.

Looking back I probably would’ve spent more for a different printer…maybe a uv gel or something…idk. This was my first shot at printing and it didn’t pan out the way I wanted it to. If I get back in to in-house printing I feel like I need 2 printers so I always have a backup.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hello. May I ask you to describe the repalcement process? Did you talk to the dealer or HP? How many tech visits took place before the replacement option was offered?
We also have a faulty HP latex 700W and the communication is not going very well.
Replacement unit is going to have the same "features" as your first unit.
So either refund it completely or live with it.

nolanola

Well, our first 700w worked for a couple months until all of the ink lines leaked everywhere inside the printer. We were down for about 4 weeks. After that it was monthly, each time down for 1-2 weeks. At the 11 month mark I asked for a refund or a new printer and got a new one. It arrived new in box but did not work so we waited a couple weeks for the fix. It worked for a few weeks then started doing the same crap the original printer did.

The original purchase was through grimco and I notified them I wanted a refund. They simply asked that I put in another service ticket with HP so they could send a tech out to diagnose the problem. After giving them the opportunity to repair the printer I could decide if I wanted it or not.

I can say that the service provided by both HP and grimco were excellent up until I asked for a refund. They processed my refund but ghosted all of my calls during the refund process.

I now outsource primarily to signs365 and couldn’t be happier. They’ve been a game changer for me.

Looking back I probably would’ve spent more for a different printer…maybe a uv gel or something…idk. This was my first shot at printing and it didn’t pan out the way I wanted it to. If I get back in to in-house printing I feel like I need 2 printers so I always have a backup.
Thank you for sharing. I admire your patience.
I wish we purchased our printer from Grimco as well (well, I wish we didn't buy 700w at all at the first place).
We were having the same issues including leaking inks, long warm up times, jams, ink cartridges didn't get recognized etc.
We bought our printer from IT supplies and it was a very very bad choice. The communication is very difficult.