• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrade from 335 to 700w?

JBurton

Signtologist
Well, our first 700w worked for a couple months until all of the ink lines leaked everywhere inside the printer. We were down for about 4 weeks. After that it was monthly, each time down for 1-2 weeks. At the 11 month mark I asked for a refund or a new printer and got a new one. It arrived new in box but did not work so we waited a couple weeks for the fix. It worked for a few weeks then started doing the same crap the original printer did.

The original purchase was through grimco and I notified them I wanted a refund. They simply asked that I put in another service ticket with HP so they could send a tech out to diagnose the problem. After giving them the opportunity to repair the printer I could decide if I wanted it or not.

I can say that the service provided by both HP and grimco were excellent up until I asked for a refund. They processed my refund but ghosted all of my calls during the refund process.

I now outsource primarily to signs365 and couldn’t be happier. They’ve been a game changer for me.

Looking back I probably would’ve spent more for a different printer…maybe a uv gel or something…idk. This was my first shot at printing and it didn’t pan out the way I wanted it to. If I get back in to in-house printing I feel like I need 2 printers so I always have a backup.
Better late than never. I can imagine it's not top priority, but your previous post read like a promotion for the 700w, your follow up shows the reality. Glad you found a way to work with an outsource partner to keep things going.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
Better late than never. I can imagine it's not top priority, but your previous post read like a promotion for the 700w, your follow up shows the reality. Glad you found a way to work with an outsource partner to keep things going.
Yeah, when the printer worked it did well. After about 6 months I had built up a good bit of work but had to cancel a lot of them due to downtime. I’d say I lost over $20k in jobs over 14 months. I certainly was hyped up about the 700w initially but it didn’t take too much time to see that so many others had the same problems.

I’m still cooling off from the experience so maybe I’ll bite the bullet again one of these days and get another printer. I know enough now to research it properly before buying.

ikarasu

I can count the months on 1 hand since we've owned it (2-3 years ago )where our Latex wasn't having an issue that needed a tech out.

I dont know if it is (But I hope) The first gen of 700s that have issues... And hopefully the newer ones, or newer models fix those issues - but it does seem like the 700 is a step backward from HP's usual quality. Our 560 was rock solid... 700 has something wrong with it 99% of the time, although its not always an issue that prevents us from printing - We've had a bunch of annoyances, but maybe a combined total of 3 days of downtime Where we couldnt use the printer....and a hundred or so tech hours replacing parts getting it back up, so I guess that counts as downtime.

Both HP And grimco are great at repairing it though... We got the extended warranty because of all the issues we have, but when something doesnt work... HP usually flies a part out within a day or two and we're back up and running. We're lucky to have 4-5 techs at our local grimco though, I'm sure not everyone is in that position.

and then theres issues like where the maintenance cartridge gets read at 50% upon loading it... And drops a good 10% every day.... So we've gone though a $230 cartridge every week to week and a half.... Tried replacing 1 sensor, the line sensor is next...then I'm told the next step is the whole maintenance assembly.

We've probably had 20-30k worth of repairs done (all for free) - I'd be curious to know how much HP spent on 700W warranty repairs vs other printers.... They did come out with a new model pretty dang fast, and I bet thats why :roflmao:

I wonder how long until printer manufacturers come out with a Trade up program where you just keep leasing the printer and getting the newest model in your monthly price, like the cell phone companies have these days... I'd sign up!

Last edited:

nolanola

Replacement unit is going to have the same "features" as your first unit.
So either refund it completely or live with it.
Do you know if all 700 and 800 printers had the leaking ink feature? When did HP learn about this? I wonder why they didn't inform those who purchased the faulty equipment?

Last edited:

nolanola

Be more specific, what ink leak?

Quote: "HP has a serial number list of printers that had the faulty luer lock connector. "
I had that problem. I would like to know if my printer is on that list. And also I would like to know why I wasn't informed about this beforehand.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

Quote: "HP has a serial number list of printers that had the faulty luer lock connector. "
I had that problem. I would like to know if my printer is on that list. And also I would like to know why I wasn't informed about this beforehand.
Its all serial numbers manufactured before a certain date. You can PM me your serial number if you want to know. If it's older than 18 months today then it's likely on it.

Its damage control you know. Only the ones that break get fixed but for free even out of the warranty.

If you knew a tech from your reseller he may have said something to you or taken care of it but there is no requirement to let you know about everything.

nolanola

Its all serial numbers manufactured before a certain date. You can PM me your serial number if you want to know. If it's older than 18 months today then it's likely on it.

Its damage control you know. Only the ones that break get fixed but for free even out of the warranty.

If you knew a tech from your reseller he may have said something to you or taken care of it but there is no requirement to let you know about everything.
Is there a requirement for HP printers to print?