• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrading my computer. any advise?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
My primary design system is a few years old now and still destroys most current desktops. Its a Dell Precision 690 1kw, it had dual quad core 3ghz processors. That is 8 true physical processor cores. 16 memory slots, supports 64gb or ram but I have 2gb sticks in all slots for 32gb. Problem with this class of a machine is cost. The memory is more expensive for them, Xeon processors cost more, etc. New, I could not have afforded it as I have it configured now. That would have been close to 6k then. I've upgraded it here and there over the past few years with faster processors, more ram, 15k rpm SAS drives, SSD drive, etc....

choucove

My primary design system is a few years old now and still destroys most current desktops. Its a Dell Precision 690 1kw, it had dual quad core 3ghz processors. That is 8 true physical processor cores. 16 memory slots, supports 64gb or ram but I have 2gb sticks in all slots for 32gb. Problem with this class of a machine is cost. The memory is more expensive for them, Xeon processors cost more, etc. New, I could not have afforded it as I have it configured now. That would have been close to 6k then. I've upgraded it here and there over the past few years with faster processors, more ram, 15k rpm SAS drives, SSD drive, etc....

Agreed, we have used server-class workstations before as well in the past and while they have been monster performers, the problem comes down to cost. After three or four years of life, while they are still running good, it may be time for some upgrades like more RAM, and it's more expensive to purchase server-class hardware. In the end, for what we generally need (especially when we are replacing out several computers at once instead of just one) it's more feasible to go with standard desktop hardware.

visual800

Wow. That's more then i need guys. I'm on a budget also.

Thats the way forums are. You ask a simple question and now we are talking about I got 3 monitors hooked up! lol

My questions is WHY? Why does someone need 3 monitors you can only do 1 thing at a time. I wanna know how large the desk would be, or maybe they would stacked on top of one another like the setup in the movie "swordfish"

Im sorry I dont get it. We are sign guys I would rather it be more about the work than the setup.

WildWestDesigns

Thats the way forums are. You ask a simple question and now we are talking about I got 3 monitors hooked up! lol

My questions is WHY? Why does someone need 3 monitors you can only do 1 thing at a time. I wanna know how large the desk would be, or maybe they would stacked on top of one another like the setup in the movie "swordfish"

Im sorry I dont get it. We are sign guys I would rather it be more about the work than the setup.

I cant speak for the others that have 3 monitors, although I think I am the only one that mentioned a 3 monitor setup in this thread, but I can speak for my use.

Main monitor would be for Internet, Id, Dw, LibreOffice and email. Basically anything that is mainly keyboard/mouse driven, at least for me.

2nd monitor(Samsung TV) is dedicated for entertainment only, especially since it's a tv not a true monitor. Having a monitor dedicated to visual entertainment (netflix or using the DVD player) is where having a dedicated monitor comes in handy. Not so much with audio entertainment, unless you stream it and want to see the listing of what is currently playing.

3rd one is the Cintiq, ES 2, Ai, Ps, Corel are used here. Basically programs that really could use a pressure sensitive stylus or where a stylus is just more natural then a mouse as an input device.

It makes it very easy to have multiple programs open at the same time and efficiently work from one program to the next and not have to worry about having one window block the other.

You have to remember too signs are such a little % of what I do. By far the majority of what I do is creating embroidery files, which means I'm in front of a computer a lot during the week, even when running the machines I am usually also creating patterns for other embroidery shops. So for me, a system like this works. However, I didnt really suggest going to a 3 monitor setup, I talked about my having one and a hard time that I would have going back to a single monitor setup or when I have to just use 2 monitors with my production computer (which is also a laptop that I use for digitizing people's patterns when I am out of town somewhere).

So my having a setup like this does help me be more efficient. Would it everyone? It depends on what the other person is doing the majority of the time.

ironchef

I have dual monitors. I love it, but i don't think i need 3. I use one for email,youtube,music,etc. And second for designing. I don't have much time at the shop for entertainment. And Maybe ill get xeon when i have more funds. As of now, an ssd for my current pc is on the list, also i need to buy corel draw x5 or x6. And then im going to buy a 300 to 400 dollar pc barebone kit. To replace on of our old xp pc. That we only use to cut with graphix advantage. It'll be my first build. So i will try with a not so expensive pc kit. Then ill go for a custom build and set it up just for designing. And ill leave my current pavilion for ripping. For right now i have to use the pavilion for cutting on a graphtec. Ripping and printing on a mimaki and designing, while our other station has the xp with ga.

WildWestDesigns

I have dual monitors. I love it, but i don't think i need 3. I use one for email,youtube,music,etc. And second for designing. I don't have much time at the shop for entertainment.

I do it because i have to have something going. Just has to be something going on in the background. Music, OTR, or something streamed.

ironchef

Ya. Me too. I have a xoom and have all of my Music on there. Comcast just came in my area, thinking of switching, they offer tv, phone and fax and internet.

CropMarks

When I do layout or any type of work... the more monitors, the better. Let's say I'm doing a menu layout in InDesign and a customer sends me a word file with the info. InDesign is open in one monitor and word in another... copy and paste between the two. (I also do this a ton from my email being open in my third monitor). Another example... Illustrator open in one monitor and all the pallets open in another monitor... and a print que open in the third. I know it's not for everyone... but for me, 3+ monitors = more productivity.

ironchef

Your right. I'm not hating... maybe ill set that up when i get the new computer. But for my pavilion ill just keep it on dual screens

ironchef

Damn that's a good price. But do i need that big of an ssd? I was thinking half of that. Also. I think my pc pooped on me today. I installed the trial version from corel.com of x6. And it opens. And works nice. But all my icons for other programs turned into corel draw icons. And when i click on omega or norton or internet .explorer. corel opens up instead. Even when i open the start menu. Everything is in corel icons. I uninstalled x6 and now its fine. But i need to buy x5 from amazon. But i don't want to spend the money until this issue is resolved

ironchef

Hey y'all. Happy fourth of July!! I just bought an i7 win7pro . 2tb 8gb ram i want to buy an ssd and more ram. But thats for another week. I went over my budget to get an intel over amd. Everyone at tigerdirect was hating on amd for heating up too much so i went with the new ivybridge i7

ironchef

Oh and i got a ips lg monitor from bestbuy at 200. Its not the best ips but better then the monitors i have currently.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Got a Dell N5110, i7-2670QM, 2.20 GHZ, 6GB ram, DVD recorder, 450HD from costco $762.22 after tax. Use your AMEX business card to get one extra warranty I believe. This computer comes with 2 year factory warranty.

This thing is smoking fast.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Here is what you could have got for $1068.90:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 - Water Cooled with Thermaltakes new closed loop system
Mushkin 16GB DDR3-1333
Mushkin SSD 240GB Sata III - I use these and they are awesome.
Seagate 1TB
GeForce GT440 Graphics card - Dual DVI and more than enough processing power for your printing/designing needs
A case big enough to add 6 HDDs in the future, A rock solid power supply, and a business class desktop motherboard.

For $350 right now you can get a 27" 2560x1440 LG Panel IPS monitors, they work great and are built in Korea by the same factory as the samsung LCDs.

Attachments

• Newegg_Page_1.jpg
    Newegg_Page_1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Newegg_Page_2.jpg
    Newegg_Page_2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103

choucove

One problem with that previous configuration is the mixture of an Intel Xeon class processor with a desktop series chipset and standard desktop non-ECC RAM. That will not work. While yes the Xeon and the motherboard are both LGA 1155, the motherboard is definitely not a business class desktop motherboard, and is not a server-grade chipset that will run a Xeon chip, they use different memory controller configurations and have access to different PCI-Express slots and additional compatibility differences.

Yes, on a server-series LGA1155 chipset, like the C202, C204, or C206 you can put in desktop series Core i3 processor, but the reverse is not true for the desktop chipset motherboards. Additionally, on a C202, C204, or C206 chipset motherboard you can run non-ECC memory if you're running a Core i3 processor, but stepping to any Xeon processor requires either ECC Unbuffered or ECC Registered memory depending upon the chipset series and processor series. This is true for any server-class processor.

Ironchef, I wouldn't put too much stock into someone saying that AMD processors overheat. In fact, every single AMD processor I have ever used in over seven years of building computers, every AMD system has run cooler than the similar Intel configuration. In fact, one of the biggest complaints about the latest generation of Intel processor, the Ivy Bridge that replaces Sandy Bridge, is that it runs hotter than its older generation in several situations! This is quite baffling, as Ivy Bridge is built on the much smaller and cooler 22nm technology compared to Sandy Bridge's 32nm technology. This reduction in die technology should translate into a noticeable decrease in operating temperatures, but in fact the opposite occurred because Intel chose to use a less effective internal thermal compound inside the heat spreader to help save cost.

To give you an example, most of the computers that we ship out are based on Intel, and always use a high-performance after-market CPU cooler, usually either the Cooler Master Hyper N or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, or a closed-loop Corsair H80 liquid cooler, each with high-quality thermal compound and high end chassis to assist with airflow. These systems at idle run around 30-35 degrees Celsius for air cooling, or 25-30 degrees Celsius for water cooling. At load, they get up to around 60 degrees Celsius. Compare this to an AMD FX processor which draws 125W, much more than the Intel's 95W/77W meaning it should be running much hotter. However, instead these systems idle around 20-25 degrees Celsius with air or liquid cooling, and at full load only hit about 45-50 degrees Celsius. I've seen this same behavior for years and years with AMD and Intel processors, so it's not just this or last generation, it's really just an assumption. I thought the same thing too until I really started looking at the numbers and comparisons years ago.

ironchef

Ughhh. That's nice to know. Lol the amd i was looking at was from best buy. The new pavilion with beats or whatever. 6cores. 2tb 10gb ram. But i went with the i7 just because i was thinking, for ripping i would need better processing speeds and ram capacity. I can go to 32 gb of ram on the i7. Maybe i was wrong. But what can i do now? Is there a way to test the temp? Without buying a display unit for the front. Also the case isn't liquid cooled compatible. Didn't think i would need it. I'm a foodie not a techie. Hahaha

choucove

Lol no worries Iron, you should be just fine with the Intel system I'm not saying you did anything wrong. In the end, I would have suggested you get the Intel i7 system over the AMD system for your specific work load anyways. Liquid cooling is definitely not a necessity for your computer, but I'd definitely recommend an after market CPU cooler if nothing else. The stock fans work very inefficiently. They are loud and at idle the computer runs hotter than what it would under full load with a decent air cooler for around $30. Decreasing heat means improving stability and the possible longevity of your system. Did you buy a pre-built system, or a barebones kit?

signswi

I've used two monitors for about a decade. Most designers and programmers I know use at least two. I ran three for a while but that was back in the CRT days.

1: Main Workspace
2: Reference art, email, etc.

Some people will do main workspace as the design board with all their toolbars open on a second but that's never quite worked for me. Then there's the Cintiq lifestyle...

Also a big "meh" to aftermarket heatsink units unless you've overclocking. The Intel OEM HSFU does just fine. i7s at default clocks don't run all that hot anyway.

ironchef

Dodged a bullet. I feel better now. I opened the case the cpu fan is aftermarket..it doesn't say intel on it. I bought it at tigerd... by syx.