• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS Strike

victor bogdanov

I was talking to another UPS employee that is very pro strike, I asked him who will pay for the union demands, he said UPS!. I asked where does UPS get money? He said from people that ship packages and then stopped himself mid sentence as he made my point that he is really demanding the extra money from me

victor bogdanov

Interesting, you would have a way better handle on that than me. It seems like I see several Amazon vans for every ups truck but then again that could be just because of how they have it setup.
https://www.retaildive.com/news/amazon-warehouse-closures-cancellations-delays-2023-mwpvl/643845/

• Amazon has canceled, closed or delayed 99 U.S. facilities, impacting nearly 32.3 million square feet of active or planned ground-level space in 30 states, Marc Wulfraat, president and founder of MWPVL International, said in a Friday email. In September, the firm had recorded 66 impacted facilities totaling 24.6 million square feet of ground-level space.

unclebun

I got an interesting call from FedEx about two weeks ago asking me what my plan was when UPS goes on strike. I told her I quit using UPS over a year ago when they screwed me over by forcing me to go to Worldwide Express, and I use USPS now. She then went on to say that they were trying to gauge how much volume increase would be coming to them and that if all UPS customers tried using FedEx, they would not be able to take all the traffic.

Johnny Best

Unions will put UPS out of business just like they do every business they get involved with. UPS will have to reorganize in a couple of years.

Anybody else think this is another "fabricated crisis"? It doesn't make sense to even come close to a strike, there is so much money at stake UPS will just raise the rates as they have been. If it does go to a strike I would not be surprised if there is something else at play. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but it just makes no sense for a company of that size and with the market share. You can bet amazon is buying/leasing anything they can get their hands on right now.
It’s not fabricated. I worked for UPS 18 years. Both the company and the union were always stubborn as heck every time contract negotiations rolled around.

There physically won't be enough room on the FedEx trucks even if they had the manpower to handle it, which they don't
I work for a ground contractor during my businesses ebbs and flows to ease the books, including currently. Ground has been doing a massive push for oversize vendors the last year or so. The trucks are so overpacked, every service area, every contractor, that even a 10% increase in volume would cripple everything. It’s wild.

Unions will put UPS out of business just like they do every business they get involved with. UPS will have to reorganize in a couple of years.
You have no idea how profitable UPS is. Generationally it’s been a career job business model. The prior contract allowed UPS to poverty employ. This contract seeks to fix that. They can afford it, trust me.

victor bogdanov

I work for a ground contractor during my businesses ebbs and flows to ease the books, including currently. Ground has been doing a massive push for oversize vendors the last year or so. The trucks are so overpacked, every service area, every contractor, that even a 10% increase in volume would cripple everything. It’s wild.
I can see this in the fedex truck that comes to our building, it's a rental truck and takes the driver a while to dig though the back to find a package because there is no where to step

Johnny Best

You have no idea how profitable UPS is. Generationally it’s been a career job business model. The prior contract allowed UPS to poverty employ. This contract seeks to fix that. They can afford it, trust me.
UPS is a private company if I remember right. And they have not disclosed their earnings in awhile. So you to, do not know how profitable they are also.
The union will try to suck it dry. They have a lot of experience in that.

victor bogdanov

UPS is a private company if I remember right. And they have not disclosed their earnings in awhile. So you to, do not know how profitable they are also.
The union will try to suck it dry. They have a lot of experience in that.
publicly traded, their profit is down 22% year over year and the rest of the numbers are not on the best trend like many other big companies this year. Most companies are in cost cutting mode right now, not the best time for the union to push for more expenses

8% profit margin, not alot of room to pay additional expenses.

A lot of entry level workers think the billion dollar corporation they work for has unlimited money but most are running on very thin margins, couple % drop and they're in danger of bankruptcy

1.jpg

Lucky Sky

After getting to know my driver over the last few years for many, it's really not about increasing their pay. My guy drives 14-16 hour days while 1/3 of the fleet sit idle...at least through our distribution hub. Why pay a long-term high-end guy overtime when you can put someone in a second truck and get all of them off the road quicker? There is more going on than meets the eye and it's not just the drivers asking for more money. The talks stalled when the workers started asking for better pay and more consistent hours for the part-timer workers.

JamesLam

We are competing with the companies that bring in all the offshore crap. Stop buying the offshore crap that we really do not need and buy domestically if you really need it. Maybe the couriers won't have the luxury to pick and choose who they give deals to vs those they rinse (small business).

It's not my responsibility or yours to keep sending billions of dollars to prop up foreign manufacturers yet our 'leaders' seem to think that is the best for all of 'us'. I wonder who they include when they say 'us'?

JamesLam

My UPS driver said they are getting AC either way and it is in the works. Trucks have been getting ACs installed. He doesn't care too much for getting AC as the trucks get turned off every 2 minutes at stops and opening/closing doors will be a big slow down. Maybe if they did not have to turn the trucks off at stops AC would work way better

The sticking point is getting temporary workers starting pay from about $15 per hr to $20+ per hr

They are complaining about temp workers limited benefits while small businesses that ship with UPS don't have much as far as benefits go themselves, yet the small businesses will be the ones paying the biggest portion of the price increase brough on by the strike
Walked into Target in Ithaca, NY over the weekend and they have posted jobs starting at $17.50 per hour plus perks. So will $20 an hour be enough to entice someone to drive a truck and work their tail off. Especially during the Christmas onslaught.

victor bogdanov

Walked into Target in Ithaca, NY over the weekend and they have posted jobs starting at $17.50 per hour plus perks. So will $20 an hour be enough to entice someone to drive a truck and work their tail off. Especially during the Christmas onslaught.
Truck drivers make way more than $20 per hour, according to UPS part timers make $20+ per hour plus benefits after 30 days. Loading truck etc, entry level work.

$17.50 at target to unload truck vs $20+ at UPS

Truck drivers have little to gain from the strike