• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS vs. FedEx?

gnubler

On that note... have yall seen the price of a storage unit lately?? My 10x20 is maxed out and I went to look for another one for a few months to store some signs... it's over $400/mo for a 10x20.
A bargain compared to the jacked up rents in my area. People around here are so desperate for housing they're living in storage units (for real). Plywood sheds, garages, barns, etc.

gnubler

UPS seems to be a bit more on-time with deliveries than Fed Ex. A lot of my Fed Ex packages get "stuck" somewhere. On a personal note, I've had the same UPS and FedEx drivers for 3 years. The UPS guy and I always joke around because he delivers to the shop in the afternoon and then to my house between 4-5. Some days I can be caught having a drink at home when he comes so he gives me crap. The Fed Ex guy is a stick in the mud but does his job lol
They must be paying their drivers somewhat decently because all of mine are extra friendly, UPS and FedEx both. My packages are always brought inside and put on the counter, not dumped somewhere outside like I've seen in the past.

JamesLam

Do y'all find that FedEx ground is more reliable than their expedited service?
I have a vendor that only offers FedEx, and if I need something quick I can choose faster delivery or faster production... The last two times I choose faster delivery because it was cheaper, but Fedex dropped the ball, if
ground tends to deliver more constantly, I will start choosing faster production.
You can always set up your own account(s) and have shipments billed to your account. When the product is ready to go out the door the shipper can select who pays or you can create and forward the label for them to print and apply to the order based upon the shipment details. This may help you avoid up charges that soem companies bury in their shipping charges.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I really think most of our perceptions of FedEx and UPS are from our local delivery drivers and terminals in most cases.

They both have strong and weak spots across the country. We ship with both, hundreds of thousands of dollars per year with each of them, and they both have very similar track records.

We have a very very small set of customers that don't want us to use UPS ever again, and a very very small set of customers that don't ever want us to use FedEx ever again. But, for the most part, everyone just wants their stuff delivered as fast and cheap as possible.

I used to swear by FedEx and only used UPS as last resource, but is it just me or is FedEx really sucking the last few years and UPS has gotten a lot better?
One of my vendors only offer FedEx & every time I paid extra for expedited delivery in the past year they missed the date & I had to scramble to make it right on my dime.

What has been your experiences?
UPS is now charging extra if you ship something in a tube. My boss was not happy when he found out last week as he includes shipping in his quotes for certain jobs. USPS took three weeks to get my rent check one town over last month and I had paid for expedited shipping... The landlord gave me a break as it had happened with a bunch of other tenants. So they all pretty much suck right now.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
UPS is now charging extra if you ship something in a tube. My boss was not happy when he found out last week as he includes shipping in his quotes for certain jobs. USPS took three weeks to get my rent check one town over last month and I had paid for expedited shipping... The landlord gave me a break as it had happened with a bunch of other tenants. So they all pretty much suck right now.
I've had my rent set up as monthly wire transfer for years now and haven't touched it after I set it up first month.
I'm just wondering, what is the benefit of checks on this? Doesn't it require you to deal with that every so often?
And yeah sorry, I'm derailing here...

Joshua Stephens

UPS over FedEx seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Well... They are both closed Sunday but you know what I mean.
As for freight companies, I only really have experience receiving but I can XPO Logistics has been much better than anyone else. It seems no one knows how to prepare a skid for transit. Literally, everything I get from FedEx Freight is beat the hell up- I had to refuse the same pallet rack around 5 times since it was completely bent by the time it got to me. UPS Freight is okay so far but I really like XPO Logistics because they (from what I can tell) help wrap everything. Everything I get is thoroughly wrapped and often has XPO branding on it.

jagsouthern

They have charged that premium for sometime now. I recall seeing at least a year ago on our invoice. Odd handling round on a conveyor belt.

ProSignTN

They're all the same. To me, it's your driver that makes the difference. I prefer UPS and USPS. FedEx uses contractors and they seem to have a lot of turnovers. We can call our UPS driver to meet him if we have a shipment were waiting on or for late pickups.
FedEx (Blue & Orange) are Employees of FedEx. FedEx Ground (Blue & Green) are considered self employed contractors. Fed Ex did this to bust their the union and offer a cheaper, slower, more price competitive service. There is a dedicated website just for Ground contractors to vent. I tried to get out of the sign business years ago, because you know, cash flow. I did a stint with Ground. After about three weeks when I got my legs under me, it was boring. I've had the same FedEx driver for 30 years though. Damn, he's old as I am. But man his legs look strong. USPS suffers from an old legislative decision to pay into a retirement fund many years in advance. Without this albatross around it's neck USPS would be profitable today. And it is guaranteed in the Constitution.

T Nichols

I used to swear by FedEx and only used UPS as last resource, but is it just me or is FedEx really sucking the last few years and UPS has gotten a lot better?
One of my vendors only offer FedEx & every time I paid extra for expedited delivery in the past year they missed the date & I had to scramble to make it right on my dime.

What has been your experiences?
If it was freight, I'd go Fedex. I ship custom frames and UPS damaged or destroyed everything I ever shipped (and it's almost impossible to get them to pay even with the extra insurance). 0 issues with Fedex. Also, I get roll paper from Lexjet via UPS.... I get free replacements ALL-OF-THE_TIME. UPS damages EVERY roll.