• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Used Printer what to look for and when to walk away?

funnyb0nz

Hey Guys and Gals, looking into getting a Wide Format Printer, and have some options on some used ones. Currently Looking at Epson Sure Color S70670, HP Design LaserJet L26500, Epson 40600. So my question is when you print the total page count, etc.....what is considered too high? Also what should I expect to be paying for these? I understand the first two are about 6-8 years old, and the 40600 is only about 2 years old. All I plan on doing is printing vinyl for arcade graphics, and maybe a couple vehicle wraps, but then you never know it could be like everything else I have done people find out what I have I may be doing more then just my stuff. So would like to get your feedback, as what path to take. Thanks!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Get the newer printer. End of service life for the 26500 is next month, so it wont be long before these are all paperweights.

player

Roland printers and others store their statistics like hours printing, head shot count, head strikes, number of heads changed etc.These stats can be printed out.

The printers will print tests for the heads to see what shape they are in. Look for missing bars or whatever it prints. Heads are really expensive.

There are other alignment tests that you should to make sure the printer can be set up properly.

The squareness of large prints, the clarity of tiny letters and detail, and if there is hazing, shadows or over spray should be tested and looked for.

If it is a print cut machine a thorough test of the consistency of depth over the width, the accuracy and do the cuts line up with the prints. Will it print and cut a long print?

Are the bearing good? Do the pumps, heaters, fans and vacuum work?

Is the area around the print heads clean or is ink all gunked up?

Is it being sold by a dealer, what warranty is being offered IN WRITING?

Just a few things to look for.

Last edited:

funnyb0nz

Roland printers and others store their statistics like hours printing, head shot count, head strikes, number of heads changed etc.These stats can be printed out.

The printers will print tests for the heads to see what shape they are in. Look for missing bars or whatever it prints. Heads are really expensive.

There are other alignment tests that you should to make sure the printer can be set up properly.

The squareness of large prints, the clarity of tiny letters and detail, and if there is hazing, shadows or over spray should be tested and looked for.

If it is a print cut machine a thorough test of the consistency of depth over the width, the accuracy and do the cuts line up with the prints. Will it print and cut a long print?

Are the bearing good? Do the pumps, heaters, fans and vacuum work?

Is the area around the print heads clean or is ink all gunked up?

Is it being sold by a dealer, what warranty is being offered IN WRITING?

Just a few things to look for.
Thanks very much, I own IT business so waz hooeing that they put counters on just like they to the laser printers.
Now whats a high number on count to walk away from if everything else looks good?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Thanks very much, I own IT business so waz hooeing that they put counters on just like they to the laser printers.
Now whats a high number on count to walk away from if everything else looks good?
It doesnt matter. If it works properly and has been maintained then buy it. Chances are that it will outlast what you are trying to do just like half of the other used printers for sale online.

Hey Guys and Gals, looking into getting a Wide Format Printer, and have some options on some used ones. Currently Looking at Epson Sure Color S70670, HP Design LaserJet L26500, Epson 40600. So my question is when you print the total page count, etc.....what is considered too high? Also what should I expect to be paying for these? I understand the first two are about 6-8 years old, and the 40600 is only about 2 years old. All I plan on doing is printing vinyl for arcade graphics, and maybe a couple vehicle wraps, but then you never know it could be like everything else I have done people find out what I have I may be doing more then just my stuff. So would like to get your feedback, as what path to take. Thanks!

Hi we carry all the Hp's in both new and refurbished. We currently have the L26500 on sale now with a 2 year warranty. As well as the newer super duty Latex 360. Great units for car wraps, signs, banners, and much more. The Hp's are preferred over the Epsons for many reasons including quick dry, lower maintenance costs, and more...thx wideimagesolutions.com

funnyb0nz

Hi we carry all the Hp's in both new and refurbished. We currently have the L26500 on sale now with a 2 year warranty. As well as the newer super duty Latex 360. Great units for car wraps, signs, banners, and much more. The Hp's are preferred over the Epsons for many reasons including quick dry, lower maintenance costs, and more...thx wideimagesolutions.com
what price on the 26500? will that do vehicle wraps banners etc. also the 360?

ams

These are not sign printers. I would suggest going with printers are that made for vinyl such as Eco-Solvent or Latex.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
These are not sign printers. I would suggest going with printers are that made for vinyl such as Eco-Solvent or Latex.

Umm, are we reading the same thread? Every printer they are looking at falls into that category.

My pick would be the 40600 being the newest of the ones listed.

funnyb0nz

Umm, are we reading the same thread? Every printer they are looking at falls into that category.

My pick would be the 40600 being the newest of the ones listed.
Thanks, That's what I am currently looking at right now. Waiting for a couple places to get back with me today, thought I had one lined up but the more the guy texted me the more it was looking like a scam. His printer has been listed since October but to get it for 3K (had many prints on the reports page) I had to send him 3 K that day, and he couldn't wait until later in the week when I would have chance to drive down to Houston from Ohio. So hopefully hear back today from Grimco, and another fellow that seems legit selling the 40600. I was also starting to look at the HP Latex 115, but was reading some bad reviews on HP website. Thanks for the suggestion on the 40600!

I agree. I would go with the L26500 or the 360 HP Latex printers. These are great machines to suit your outdoor print needs. thx Wideimagesolutions.com