• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy Used Roland VG2 640 - Need some Validation

Should I buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Dudewhatzup

Hi Folks,

I've been interested in the industry for the last couple of months and have been eyeing a chance to get started. The goal is to start with photographic, canvas and vinyl prints for consumers and slowly work my way to finding business clientele. I'm planning to run this out of my house so there won't be any overhead.

As the title says I've been given a chance to get my hands on a used Roland VG2-640 for a little over 10K USD + tax and have been getting pushback from my family on an investment that large. I think to be able to get my hands on a barely used Roland printer for the price is a steal. I would love some validation from some of you already in the industry.

Also I would love to hear about any specific things I should look out for when buying a used printer. Obviously clogged printheads which I should be able to check using a test print, but I'm trying to adsorb any information I can and would love to get your experience and thoughts. Also is there a way to check the number of hours the printers been used?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If you are just starting out and you rather not outsource (which would be your best option to start, as bringing in-house has overhead costs involved, even if at your house), I'd suggest going with a different machine, although the VG2 is the newest model, if it's being sold used already, you know there is something up with it. I would recommend going with a VS-300i or VS-540i (if you need larger prints), they are of equal or better quality, faster and should be able to get one for cheaper. But this all being said, it's only my opinion.

Dudewhatzup

If you are just starting out and you rather not outsource (which would be your best option to start, as bringing in-house has overhead costs involved, even if at your house), I'd suggest going with a different machine, although the VG2 is the newest model, if it's being sold used already, you know there is something up with it. I would recommend going with a VS-300i or VS-540i (if you need larger prints), they are of equal or better quality, faster and should be able to get one for cheaper. But this all being said, it's only my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion! My seller bought the printer and went a different route so thats why he's selling it used, however I did hear about issues with the VG, which is why I wanted to go with the VG2.

I did hear the VS-540 were built like tanks and will last, I thought with the newer model there might be ink savings, and I'm just worried about EoL End of Life. I did see many VS models out there and was curious about their printing quality and capacity - knowing that someone here think it prints better makes me feel better about possibly switching to that model instead.

victor bogdanov

I have a 2 Roland SG2 (same as the VG2 but less printheads) and they have been both printing 8hrs per day for over a year, not a single problem. Great printers other than being on the slower side (but VG2 will be faster).

Saturn

Aging Member
What's your background for work? How big is your town or city? Do you have design or prepress experience?

I would spend A LOT of time reading up on previous answers to questions like this, and see if you still have the same interest in another couple months. I LOVE seeing folks hustle and start their own businesses, but in this case I might be leaning towards agreeing with your family. But prove me wrong!

See also, site:signs101.com first+printer.

Dudewhatzup

What's your background for work? How big is your town or city? Do you have design or prepress experience?

I would spend A LOT of time reading up on previous answers to questions like this, and see if you still have the same interest in another couple months. I LOVE seeing folks hustle and start their own businesses, but in this case I might be leaning towards agreeing with your family. But prove me wrong!

See also, site:signs101.com first+printer.
I go over a bit of history in my intro thread but, I don't have a background in print however I do know how to use photoshop and Illustrator well enough. so I would say I have some design experience; Pre-press not so much.

I live in one of the major metropolitan areas on the east cost, with access to a smaller town 1 hour away, so I plan to try and advertise to both cities. Where I live it might be a bit saturated, but theres never a shortage of businesses opening. I don't have any previous clientele, but I have lots of ideas to reach out to photographers/new businesses/canvas art work for advertising and growing my business. Curious why you're asking, are you worried about market saturation?

With all the feedback I'm receiving, I'm having second thoughts, I thought that perhaps if I bought the printer and it doesn't work out in 2 years, I could sell it for similar value since it is a pretty new printer and at, what I thought, was an absolute steal for a 2 year old printer 11K vs 22k MRSP and it seems rolands retain their value pretty well. This was why I thought it was worth the risk, that if I couldn't break into the industry, that I had an exit plan. If you answer one thing from my post I'd like to know what you think on this point.

truckgraphics

Can't speak to your business plan, but an almost new, half price Roland sounds like a heck of a deal. And newer is better, given that print heads on older Rolands will cost at least $3,500 and you can bet one will be needed. Make sure you have some support from a local or close by dealer. Not that the printer will break. Our experience with Roland is that it's bulletproof (knock wood). But printers don't like to move. Sometimes they are a bit out of whack when you set them up. Also, you might need some help setting up your RIP, updating software, etc. A lot of these things become second nature, but if it's your first machine, you might need some assistance. Also, you are going to have to buy ink and media. Lots of places to buy media, but use only Roland ink (my advice). Maybe something else is cheaper, but it's not that expensive and it's the lifeblood of your machine. Something cheap could wreck it. Good luck.

Dudewhatzup

Can't speak to your business plan, but an almost new, half price Roland sounds like a heck of a deal. And newer is better, given that print heads on older Rolands will cost at least $3,500 and you can bet one will be needed. Make sure you have some support from a local or close by dealer. Not that the printer will break. Our experience with Roland is that it's bulletproof (knock wood). But printers don't like to move. Sometimes they are a bit out of whack when you set them up. Also, you might need some help setting up your RIP, updating software, etc. A lot of these things become second nature, but if it's your first machine, you might need some assistance. Also, you are going to have to buy ink and media. Lots of places to buy media, but use only Roland ink (my advice). Maybe something else is cheaper, but it's not that expensive and it's the lifeblood of your machine. Something cheap could wreck it. Good luck.
Thank you, those were exactly my thoughts. I already downloaded Versaworks. I found a local dealer that offers service to out of warranty machines. So it seems i have some agreement as to the upside of my plan.
If you have time I haven't gotten much response as to what I should look out for when buying used, such as what tests to run on the printer to ensure its in good working order. The seller offered to give me his dealer contact info. Is it possible for me to ask the dealer to run some sort of maintenance check before I buy it?

I also acknowledge that I have downsides such as lack of experience that everyone is speaking about and a high investment layout which I think I can I mitigate with an exit plan if it goes south by selling and machine and recouping my loss.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Have a overall look how clean and well kept does it look. Check inside if there is any ink anywhere, drops, leaks, anything. Check captops they shouldn't be floating in ink, check wiper area that it has been cleaned and not covered in ink. Bottom of the carriage should be fairly clean if someone took good care of it.
Print the nozzle check, obviously you aim for 100% perfect. Do a couple different test images, just look for any weird things, banding etc. Make it print&cut something, see that the cutter works.
If all looks good empty the waste tank, empty the cleaning liquid and install the carriage holder in place. Good to go.

Just know that after you get it, it will sit there pumping your ink away so you better have some use for it or be ready to supply it with new ink even if you don't print anything.

Last edited: