• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Spectrophotometer and Versaworks

jsalda

Looking to start building my own color profiles, specifically, so I can get close, consistent color between my VP540 & SP540v. Not looking to be dead on, just close enough that 95% of the population wouldn't notice.

Brand new X-rite goes for +$2k, but I noticed in this video, he uses an X-rite DT41. Looking on eBay, there's a ton of those available for less than $200.

I guess my questions would be 1)Would a DT41 (or any of it's variants) serve the purpose of getting accurate color? and 2) Would it work with my RIP computer? The computer is running Windows 10 and I would have to get a PCi card to add the COM port.

Bly

I used DTP41s for many years.
They are or were good quality spectros which make accurate profiles.
They ideally should be sent to Xrite for recalibration every so often.
Their only real drawback is lack of ability to scan a spot colour or profile rigid boards.
I bought an i1 once we got a flatbed so we can profile print on boards of any thickness.
It's a lot faster than the old DTP41s too.

Edit - I think the DTP41b version has a USB interface.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You're also going to need some sort of icc profile creation software. The guy is using profile maker5 in the video.
I always advice to buy newer spectrophotometers, for example the xrite i1 pro2.
There's a lot of different tyres and brands. And automated ones get very expensive. Some spectrophotometers come in packages with icc software. And some don't.

jsalda

You're also going to need some sort of icc profile creation software. The guy is using profile maker5 in the video.
I always advice to buy newer spectrophotometers, for example the xrite i1 pro2.
There's a lot of different tyres and brands. And automated ones get very expensive. Some spectrophotometers come in packages with icc software. And some don't.
Some of the eBay options look like they come with the original CD, so I'm assuming it would have the profile creation software?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Some of the eBay options look like they come with the original CD, so I'm assuming it would have the profile creation software?
Nope. What you're seeing are the manuals and drivers CDs.
Since now you're trying to get into colour management and step up your output quality, you'll now realise how expensive it can get.
Anything to do with printer calibration isn't cheap.
A spectrophotometer starts around $1000. and can go towards 10k.
Software like icc profiling maybe from $500? upwards. most i know are over $1000.

Then you can get more serious with more serious RIPs ect. But you don't need it.

On another note, There are open source software that can view and create icc profiles. Argyll is the icc creation software. I've never used it, but theres videos on youtube. Open source tools

Mind you, all ICC profiling software will output something different. some software will output similar results regardless of how your ink curves are. Some require some precise ink calibration or will just output a shit profile.

From all that, now you'll know that you're probably in for a couple of thousand. And you're best off getting an X-rite i1Pro2 publish package, as it has everything you'll need. That way you have a spectrophotometer that is pretty versatile with any software as it's the most common one in the industry. The software is pretty good, used by a lot of people. That way you have a good base. If you start creating a lot of ICC profiles and find it's taking a lot of time to scan, you can upgrade to the x-rite i1iO which uses the i1pro2 on an automated table. If you change RIPs, you still have the ICC software if you like the output. (high end RIPs come with icc software built in)

I hope that puts you into perspective on what you need.

jsalda

Pauly, thanks for the awesome information! I actually had another member PM me this morning with an offer to sell his i1Pro2 since he upgraded to the
i1iSis 2. Waiting to hear back on which software package is included. I'll definitely have to check out the open source options. Again, I'm not looking for exact color match across the board, would just like to be able to have pleasantly close color between my machines. I also know that I could pay someone to come in, but I would rather invest and have the tools to create my own profiles so that as materials change and new equipment is added we can profile ourselves.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Pauly, thanks for the awesome information! I actually had another member PM me this morning with an offer to sell his i1Pro2 since he upgraded to the
i1iSis 2. Waiting to hear back on which software package is included. I'll definitely have to check out the open source options. Again, I'm not looking for exact color match across the board, would just like to be able to have pleasantly close color between my machines. I also know that I could pay someone to come in, but I would rather invest and have the tools to create my own profiles so that as materials change and new equipment is added we can profile ourselves.

For what you want to achieve, I'd be getting the i1pro2 publish package. or at least an i1pro2 and the i1profiler (you can buy it separate).
i1profiler to me as given me more consistent results when i used it.

Andy_warp

Nothing is worse than trying to teach yourself profiling with an iffy device and janky software. If you're paying cash, I'd make sure you get a screenshot of it passing it's white point confirmation. I'd hate to have you build some nasty profiles...think it was your process...and throw in the towel!

Better to get a new one that is certified right out of the box.

Not sure how robust versawork other tools are...such as ink limiting, black generation, and overall calibration.
These factors are ESSENTIAL in a good profile, and a more robust RIP (onyx/caldera) has the tools to make it easier to get you going with color management.

Scanning swatches with a spectro is pointless unless the forementioned factors are SOLID.
Using the device is like a fifth of the process.

Color management is something that is hard to do haphazardly...it's a 3 or 4 grand endeavor...we made that investment back in time and quality in less than a year!

Bly

i1s really aren't that expensive and well worth the cost once.
Once you have reliable profiles and tools for recalibration you won't look back.
I bought a 2nd hand i1 from ebay with the auto table. Plugged it in and the power supply burnt out.
I finally got a refund after a lot of time and paperwork.
Bought a new one and and glad I did. Did I say they are well worth the cost?

Andy_warp

If you are just trying to get your machines close...another option might just to be getting a densitometer.
Since the machines are similar...and using the same ink...you could probably get them close by calibrating them.
The ink gamut is the same, and that is what you are trying to maximize.

Again...not familiar with versaworks or its tools, but a densitometer is cheaper.

jsalda

Hey guys, thanks again for all the info. I received the i1 from the other member, the thing was almost brand new. The guy also sent a book on calibration/profiling and a nice long email on some tips he picked up. I feel confident in the purchase. It didn't come with iProfiler, but I tested out it's screen calibration and now my secondary monitor and iMac 5k are almost dead on with each other. I haven't started digging into VW and the profiling aspect of it, but that's on the to-do list for the next couple of weeks.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Let us know how it goes. I've wanted to create new profiles and calibrate our Rolands for years but keep back-shelfing it. Maybe if you come back in a couple weeks and say it's easy I'll bite the bullet! Good luck with the process. :thumb:

When you have the tools, you'll want to calibrate everything.