• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Summa Purchase

ml4cs

I am looking to upgrade my Titan stepper 24" cutter, was looking at new Graphtec CE7000 and then found out about Summa, I was first looking at a new s1 d75 but came across a local seller with a 4 year old s75 T series, They are asking $3000, seems about half of a new one. With tax, a stand and catch basket the new s1 would be near $3000.

My question is what should I be looking for as a possible issue with a used plotter? I am more familiar with large format printers and what to look for, plotters seem to just kind of work? especially at this higher end of the spectrum. Just curious what my risks of issue could be and how easy would they be to fix.

Thanks

steve smith

Trusted
I prefer you to go with the new s1 that will cost you near $3000.
Yes, there is a lot of chances of issues in the used plotter.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Between graphtec and summa you should be fine either way.

With regards to new and used there genuinely isn’t much that can go wrong with the summa’s. For our S2 There’s the head module, main board and then the back and forward motors that have built in encoders. That’s about it lol

balstestrat

Problem Solver
For our S2 There’s the head module, main board and then the back and forward motors that have built in encoders. That’s about it lol
Top that of with the display, power supply, small rollers, main roller, the hand "crank" etc. There's lots that can go wrong in a used one. Probably still a lot more cheaper than a new one but there's always that one bad apple there.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
True. I was mainly talking about the things that can’t be visually inspected. As far as roll cutters go they’re mostly built like tanks though.

Saturn

Aging Member
Summa/Airmark was doing sales a few times a year where the S2 Tangential plotters were the same price as their cheaper drag knife counterparts. I'm pretty sure that put the S2 T75 at $3999 new. Last year I think they did this twice? Pretty sure the stand and catch basket are included. ;p

$3000 for a lightly used one is a great price. $3000 for a beat-up, heavy-use one.... maybe not as much? Age shouldn't matter too much unless it's been poorly cared for.

ml4cs

Thanks for all the feedback, was able to find a nearly unused D75, an engraver shop had bought it for a job that fell through, thought they would use it for other things but never did, sat for a few months and unloaded it for half of new. Literally he said he set it up, tested it, ran some test cuts and that was it. This thing is FAST and crazy accurate compared to my little Titan. Another big leap forward for the shop!

No figuring out how to maximize GoSign which seems tough as not a ton of info out there on it

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Try winplot too. Literally just sent to cut. That’s it.

Gosign is obviously better due to being able to save media etc but winplot is as simple as it gets.