• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using older Flexi version on a G4 ???

H

HSG

I have a question no one representing Flexi could answer for me at the USSC expo at Atlantic City. Can Flexi version 5.8 be used on a MAC G4 to run a new plotter? It involves me purchasing a new key - $50.00 which is no problem. The flexi people were primarily interested in selling me an upgrade. I'm trying to avoid throwing any more money at this computer. I plan on buying a G5 in
'05 and would rather not upgrade the G4 to OS10 which is what the new version of Flexi runs on. The new computer will of course come with the latest version of OS software and I won't have to mess with it. ?

Thanks,
HSG

EliseW

Flexi on a G4

Did you get an answer to your question? At my office, we're in a similar boat. We're currently using a PC for our Gerber plotter Fastrack 650 and we're planning on changing to a Mac, using a G4. However, we did upgrade it to OS X. We heard about FlexiSign from someone who uses it and we're planning on getting it. We would get the current FlexiSign software. Do you know if it works on OS 10.2 (Jaguar)? And could we use Illustrator CS?
Tks,
Elise

H

HSG

Are you planning on using the latest version of Flexi or the older version? I have everything working smoothly. It was solved by using the correct adaptors. The new version of Flexi works off system 10 (and above) only. I love my Mac. I've had one for 15 years. I use flexi to cut in and illustrator to design in. Let me know how you make out.

HSG

seaviewsigns

HSG,

is there a benefit in cutting in flexi and designing in illustrator? I design and cut from illustrator. am i missing an added benefit of cutting through another program rather than using the illustrator pluggin for my graphtec??

cory

H

HSG

Cory,

The first cutting program I ever had was signpost. It's been out of buiness for some time. It was only a cutting program so I had to design in illustrator. When I upgraded,
I bought Flexi. I found it was harder to use than illustrator, mostly because it was just different and actually required more steps. From what I've seen, the new version of Flexi seems easier to use. I think it's all what you get used to. And to answer your question, no, I don't think it matters. The one feature I do use in flexi is it's sizing and measuring capabilities and the distort features are much nicer. I only have illustrator 9 so I don't know if they have been improved.

HSG

genegluck

I am running on (2) G3's and a pismo laptop. On the G3 I use Mac Os 9.2. On the laptop I am running panther. I have Flexisign 5.8v1, which runs excellent. I design in Illustrator 10.0 and Photoshop 7 (For my digital output) and Streamline 4.0 for vector conversions from my rough drawings/scans. I also have Flexisign plus 6.5 which I find somewhat troublesome when kerning fonts (It doesn't adjust the spacing between letters to my satisfaction). My vinyl cutter is about 4 years old it's an Ioline, nary a hiccup yet. Any other questions feel free to ask...Best regards.

Gene Glück

flexiezine

Anyone need a G4 1.25 512ram with OSx and OS9? Have one for sale that is just over 1 year old. Includes airport extreme card, apple pro speakers, kybrd, mouse, Combo Drive, etc... Recently purchased G4 Powerbook.

Asking $800 and will ship UPS Ground. Original packaging included.

Bobby Fosson
SSH Services, LLC.

http://www.flexiezine.com

dzign

I'm running v. 6.6.1 in classic mode. I have a G4, 1.25 ghz DP. I've just started having probs with production manager not deleting cut jobs after they've completed. If I do delete them manually, they pop back in. I have PM's prefs set to delete these when completed. Any ideas to correct this problem? I have an Ioline too, bought new in 1997. Still good as new! Super88/30. I've had to replace the blade holder, and I've heard the vinyl tensioner lever that you push down to secure the vinyl in the cutter breaks fairly easily. I never just let it spring back and hit the housing of the machine though. I keep holding it until it comes to rest when releasing it.

H

HSG

Try throwing away your preferences. If that doesn't work, reinstall the program. I have found that once you upgrade to OSX, programs run in classic have problems after awhile. Classic and OSX would fight over the printer preferences and I would constantly have to uninstall and reinstall the printer software after running classic. Illustrator was never affected but it did corrupt photoshop 6 after awhile. I just installed a photoshop upgrade and finally eliminated the need for classic mode.