• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Shift Effect/Color Change Cast wrap film on acrylic?

gnubler

Has anyone used color shift wrap film on something other than a vehicle? I'm working on a sign project where the design is spec'd to use this type of film on a flat piece of acrylic. Oracal 970RA is what I'm looking at. I don't see any information about application other than vehicles on their datasheet. Will there be any issues? I plan on ordering a sample piece to test out before committing it to the project.

https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oracal-970ra-premium-shift-effect-cast

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't see why it wouldn't work. if it works on a vehicle, it should work fine on a piece of acrylic. That said, always a good idea to test something first if you can :)

Inks

As Boudica mentioned it should work well and no need for lamination. Test prior to production as he also mentioned.

gnubler

I only ask because a) I assume nothing and b) I recall seeing another post here about acrylic cracking after having a certain vinyl off-gassing after being applied - could that be from the ink (if it was printed vinyl) or the type of adhesive, or both? My acrylic is going to be contour cut which is why I'm going to do a test first, before it gets cut.

johnnysigns

We use "wrap" vinyl a lot for the finishes/effects on display programs quite a bit. Oracal's adhesive is aggressive, so I think you're in good shape.