• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using solvent printable vinyl instead of cut vinyl?

bendeane

I never do any cut vinyl. I don't stock anything. Have a customer who wants 4 cut vinyl numbers (not even 3 feet worth of vinyl). I have scraps of Oracal 3164 printable vinyl. The customer wants his numbers in white. Anybody see an issue with using that instead of buying 10 yards of shinerite or avery? There is a 4 year durability rating on the Oracal 3164 vs 6+ years on a computer cut vinyl...

Any thoughts? Guess I could buy something by the yard...

bendeane

How about transfer tape? Again it is something I don't stock 'cause I don't normally need it. I can by the more appropriate vinyl by the yard and it wouldn't be a big deal, but buying 150 feet of transfer tape for this one job isn't something I'd like to do.

FatCat

How about transfer tape? Again it is something I don't stock 'cause I don't normally need it. I can by the more appropriate vinyl by the yard and it wouldn't be a big deal, but buying 150 feet of transfer tape for this one job isn't something I'd like to do.

I guess the obvious question I have is why do you have the ability to cut vinyl, yet you don't stock any cut vinyl or transfer tape? You honestly have no need for cut vinyl?

A cheap roll of transfer tape will cost you like $25-$50 depending on size...if the job isn't worth that - don't do the job.

anotherdog

Its the kind of thing you have in stock, a few of yards of black and a few of yards of white. It may come up only once every so many months, but being able to drop cut letters on a job stops that digital customer from walking down the road to your competition. Transfer tape is even cheaper than the vinyl and both last for years.

The cuy vinyl is also thinner and brighter than the printed stock, adheres better and cuts a lot better...because thats what it was designed to do.

Frankly I'm happier putting some nice clean white cut lettering on a car or store window than adhesive or perf, and you get your "Cut vinyl Sign Guy" badge.

sjm

Its the kind of thing you have in stock, a few of yards of black and a few of yards of white. It may come up only once every so many months, but being able to drop cut letters on a job stops that digital customer from walking down the road to your competition. Transfer tape is even cheaper than the vinyl and both last for years.

The cuy vinyl is also thinner and brighter than the printed stock, adheres better and cuts a lot better...because thats what it was designed to do.

Frankly I'm happier putting some nice clean white cut lettering on a car or store window than adhesive or perf, and you get your "Cut vinyl Sign Guy" badge.

Would agree, except for those vinyls that you have no match to. Digital imaging is a good option and white adhesive vinyl is usually a stock item in a Sign Shop.

Brenda

Calendar vinyl shrinks

One thing to keep in mind is that cut vinyl will not shrink and calendared vinyls will. You will see a line of adhesive glue where the graphic shrunk. Cast vinyl will not shrink like a calendar vinyl will.