• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Vehicle Wrap vinyl on Windows/Glass/Walls

s.hack

Hi,
So I bought my GCC Expert 24 a few months ago to create decals and this have been going really well. I know there are many types of vinyl for specific uses, but I was wondering if it would be safe to use the same vehicle wrap vinyl to create storefront labels for stores inside of malls (constant temperature, on glass), storefront outdoor (different temps, winter/summer) and for walls (on paint). I'm thinking if it can handle outdoor temperatures on a vehicle it should be a problem on a window? The reason why I'm asking is because I get a lot of inquiries for these types of jobs, but I don't want to do something that will have to be redone. I have tested the vinyl on walls and after 3 months it peels perfectly without grabbing the paint. If anyone has done this or does this currently please let me know what the results were. I don't think it is cost efficient to have so many types of vinyl since I mostly work with vehicle wraps/decals.

A few more questions:
Can air release vinyl be mirrored on the inside of the window? (I'm assuming the air release pattern would be noticeable?)
What do you guys use for leveling graphics on windows/glass etc? (I am thinking of using a handheld level)

Right now I am producing decals. The transfer paper seems to lift off the edges of the decals which sometimes things can get under and into the decal. I bought my transfer paper from Amazon.com (it was my first time buying!) the brand is called 'Echotape'. Could this be because of the quality of tape im using? Could it be because the vinyl is air release so its not making good contact with the backing? It looks very unprofessional when I give my clients decals with rolling edges.

Sorry for all the questions! I didn't want to make like 5 different threads!
Thanks in advance!

player

Hi,
So I bought my GCC Expert 24 a few months ago to create decals and this have been going really well. I know there are many types of vinyl for specific uses, but I was wondering if it would be safe to use the same vehicle wrap vinyl to create storefront labels for stores inside of malls (constant temperature, on glass), storefront outdoor (different temps, winter/summer) and for walls (on paint). I'm thinking if it can handle outdoor temperatures on a vehicle it should be a problem on a window? The reason why I'm askin
g is because I get a lot of inquiries for these types of jobs, but I don't want to do something that will have to be redone. I have tested the vinyl on walls and after 3 months it peels perfectly without grabbing the paint. If anyone has done this or does this currently please let me know what the results were. I don't think it is cost efficient to have so many types of vinyl since I mostly work with vehicle wraps/decals.

Orifol 3651 is pretty cheap to keep in stock and is a decent go to vinyl.
I would think the wrap vinyl would be very good for almost anything... What brand are you talking about?

A few more questions:
Can air release vinyl be mirrored on the inside of the window? (I'm assuming the air release pattern would be noticeable?)
What do you guys use for leveling graphics on windows/glass etc? (I am thinking of using a handheld level)

What do you mean "mirrored on the inside"? Do you mean print in reverse on clear then cover with white and stick the clear to the inside of the window so it shows reads correctly on the outside of the window? I think if you apply the air release vinyl then hit it with a heat gun it should level out the air grooves.

Measure from the edges of the window. I would never use a level. That may just be me though...

Right now I am producing decals. The transfer paper seems to lift off the edges of the decals which sometimes things can get under and into the decal. I bought my transfer paper from Amazon.com (it was my first time buying!) the brand is called 'Echotape'. Could this be because of the quality of tape im using? Could it be because the vinyl is air release so its not making good contact with the backing? It looks very unprofessional when I give my clients decals with rolling edges.

Do you mean when you tape a decal the tape lifts up while it is on the liner pulling the vinyl off the backer prematurely or do you mean the transfer tape has a strong bond so after you stick the decal and are removing the tape it pulls up? If it is the first one, leave extra tape and fold it over and stick it to the back of the liner to hold it down. If it is the second try using Rapid Tack or the home made equivalent to wet the tape, then remove it without the issue.

Sorry for all the questions! I didn't want to make like 5 different threads!
Thanks in advance!

Remember my advice is free, and you know what that is worth...

s.hack

Thanks player.
Right now I'm using a variety of vehicle wraps, so no brand in particular.

When I'm taking about mirroring the vinyl, I mean that if you are outside of a store looking through the window, the vinyl will be on the inside, but facing and readable to you.

For the decals, I mean that the tape is prematurely lifting off of the backing. I actually do already fold it over, but when producing a lot of decals its hard to fold over each one individually.

player

Thanks player.
Right now I'm using a variety of vehicle wraps, so no brand in particular.

When I'm taking about mirroring the vinyl, I mean that if you are outside of a store looking through the window, the vinyl will be on the inside, but facing and readable to you.

For the decals, I mean that the tape is prematurely lifting off of the backing. I actually do already fold it over, but when producing a lot of decals its hard to fold over each one individually.

Perhaps a 3M medium tack transfer tape would perform better?

DigiPrinter

If the decals are one-piece and manageable to peel/handle, do you need transfer tape? Are you laminating those as well? If they're die cut pieces then use your transfer tape but get some tape from your supply house that's used all the time in the sign industry. A person that I just cut for (he weeds and puts transfer tape on) bought some transfer tape from WallyWorld (Walmart) and said he was having troubles with it....I wonder why.

Mosh

any cut vinyl will work for second surface application, not sure why you are using wrap films for this.
Try oracal 751.

s.hack

The reason I only have a cutter is because I don't do printed wraps currently. And thereason why i use vehicle wraps is because its what I have left over from wraps.

s.hack

Well if you're not going to help me understand what I'm doing wrong then what's the point of leaving a useless comment...