• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Vinyl End Pieces Roland BN20a

JK Morgan

In getting set up with my Bn20a I have ended up with some large leftover pieces of vinyl. I also plan to do some window cling. I already have a roll of window cling that is 30" long, which of course is too long for the Bn20a. I figured I would cut pieces 20x30 and use up this roll.

How do you set up for cut pieces and how much do you need to leave for beginning and end? Couldn't find anything on this, not even on YouTube.

I do know from this forum that their are certain widths you can't use.

Anybody know how to do this before I start wasting materials?

Jill

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I've not measured it but going form memory I think you have about a 4" leader and tail give or take a bit. That' being said, why not chop the roll of cling to 20" to fit the machine?

JK Morgan

Living out in the country, I don't have handy access to anywhere to get this done. Do most suppliers do this for you if you want a roll cut down? I bought this from Stahl's. I may call and ask if it is possible for me to bring it in and have it cut.

Bengt Backhaus

Living out in the country, I don't have handy access to anywhere to get this done. Do most suppliers do this for you if you want a roll cut down? I bought this from Stahl's. I may call and ask if it is possible for me to bring it in and have it cut.
All my suppliers cut rolls if i ask them to free of charge.
I'm in Sweden but i would think you supplier would do it aswell.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I'm pretty sure Stahl's will cut rolls when you purchase, you just have to ask. Not so sure about them doing it after the fact but it wouldn't hurt to ask someone.

I semi-regularly cut down rolls myself with a miter saw and a fine-toothed blade. It's messy but not terribly difficult. There's probably threads on here somewhere that'll give you the details if you search.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Does the BN20 have a sheet load option? Most printers I've worked on do so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The sheet load option should measure exactly what print area is available and send that info to the RIP.

JK Morgan

Does the BN20 have a sheet load option? Most printers I've worked on do so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The sheet load option should measure exactly what print area is available and send that info to the RIP.
I can load a sheet, but I wasn't sure what extra I should account for beyond the printed area. Just going to experiment. I'm sure I will find out fast enough.

Stahl's charges $45Cdn to cut the roll.

Jill

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I can load a sheet, but I wasn't sure what extra I should account for beyond the printed area. Just going to experiment. I'm sure I will find out fast enough.

Stahl's charges $45Cdn to cut the roll.

Jill
Oh gotcha. The way most Rolands work is there is a sensor right behind the pinch rollers that gets tripped when the media ends and allows light in. When the sensor trips, it tells the machine that's where it needs to stop. So when you load a sheet it should roll it out until the sensor trips, and then the machine should send that info over to your software where it will tell you exactly how much print area is available. That's how it works most of the time with Roland but I've never done it on this model.