• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using vinylcutter with magnetic sheet?

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I’ve only had good results with punched / sprocket fed material or flatbed , friction feed slips too much for Me . Biggest problem I had was Mag. Material sticking to the metal parts of plotter.
Wish the guy I used years back was still around ( retired) - had demagnetized material you could print on then you would return with the finished product and he magnetized it - worked very well -
Biggest problem I had was Mag. Material sticking to the metal parts of plotter ,

Kaitlin Boisvert

We put magnet through the plotter all the time. We use Magnum Magnetics MuscleMag AND DigiMag. You just need to make sure you don't put in large sheets so that the plotter keeps it on track. The material can be heavy if it's too large. I recommend not going longer than 48".

ikarasu

If you're not print and cutting... Load it upside down. We do it all the time to cut shapes, then it doesn't stick. If it's a print and cut the best option is a flatbed cutter unfortunately.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I actually had a conversation with a magnetic sheeting yesterday for a customer of mine. There is un-magnetized sheeting that can be magnetized after printing and in your case "scoring" with a plotter, with some sort of handheld device. The issue with that technique is that there's no way to know if you missed a section visually when magnetizing. So for my application, we need to find a solution that will allow printing/finishing traditional magnetic sheeting. There was a suggestion to secure a slip sheet of vinyl backing material with the slick side up on the metal surfaces that the material touches through the printer so that it will slide easier through the printer. The other suggestion was to attach magnetic material magnet side up on the front and back of the printer so that the magnetic poles are "pushing" against the back of the magnet as it feeds through. I haven't tried either yet, but these suggestions make sense.

As far as printing then finishing/scoring/cutting, the best possible solution would be to print using a flatbed UV printer, then cut out using a flatbed cutter... but if you don't have that equipment, its a big leap to justify the purchase unless the ongoing project could pay for it... which in my case it just might. Good Luck to you.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Speaking of this. One of our suppliers was raving about direct R2R printable UV magnetic. Gave us a sample roll.. put it in our Colorado and it stuck pretty heavily to the very first part it could.

Needless to say we can’t print on it directly from the Colorado. Magnet seems to be pretty strong though lol

JPR-5690

We print on unmagnetized sheets all the time on our digital presses and one of our vendors, Lindenmeyr Munroe, has a commercial magnetizer at their local branch that we use to magnetize the finished pieces. They aren’t cheap or else we would buy one ourselves.

MagnumMagnetics sells a few different magnetizers and I imagine other brands do as well.

https://www.magnummagnetics.com/magnetizers/