• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Utility body Sign Truck? Share your experience

solock

Looking to add to the fleet and leaning toward a cutaway van type utility body truck
Likely based on a 2500 or 3500 chassis but some are 450 as well.

Like the idea of utility body for outside access of equipment, 12' box and 6' standing height to do sight prep out of the weather for atleast some of the job
Dislike the very high top for ladders but we have standard height vans for that.

Our standard is normal height vans, and a Navistar 4300 chassis bucket truck so have some experience with a utility body and a cutaway/utility body seems to be a better choice and fits both worlds.

It also seems that the prices on a utility body truck in the 5ish years old used market are much better than almost any 5-8 year old van or pickup truck right now. Seems that I can find a 3500 grade chassis/box for less than a higher mileage 1500 pickup. I can wrap and cover any concerns I have with outside appearance since thats the biggest issue with most used ones is ghosting from previous graphics.

Share your thoughts, good or bad for a utility box van for sign install and service.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Looking to add to the fleet and leaning toward a cutaway van type utility body truck
Likely based on a 2500 or 3500 chassis but some are 450 as well.

Like the idea of utility body for outside access of equipment, 12' box and 6' standing height to do sight prep out of the weather for atleast some of the job
Dislike the very high top for ladders but we have standard height vans for that.

Our standard is normal height vans, and a Navistar 4300 chassis bucket truck so have some experience with a utility body and a cutaway/utility body seems to be a better choice and fits both worlds.

It also seems that the prices on a utility body truck in the 5ish years old used market are much better than almost any 5-8 year old van or pickup truck right now. Seems that I can find a 3500 grade chassis/box for less than a higher mileage 1500 pickup. I can wrap and cover any concerns I have with outside appearance since thats the biggest issue with most used ones is ghosting from previous graphics.

Share your thoughts, good or bad for a utility box van for sign install and service.
They are perfect for installs. I'm on my third one. Don't like the KUV type. The open bed is good because I can put larger sheets at an angle. I can also put real long signs strapped to the ladders on the roof. If you get a Royal body, the flip top section has removable bins for fasteners.. for that reason alone I won't go with a different manufacturer. The bars on the roof rack and easily adjustable so I can put a tall sign in the back

Attachments

• 20220310_142726.jpg
    20220310_142726.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • 20220506_125719.jpg
    20220506_125719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 165

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You can get a flip top on every body I am pretty sure. I had a knapheide but never used that part. It seems like anytime you need something out of it, you had a pile of tools sitting there that you had to move. They make slideable enclosures, I had an F800 with a body like that. It was a pretty awesome truck. If I did installs, I wouldn't get anything except a body with tool boxes on the outside. Climbing in and out of a van everytime you need something really blows. I do like an enclosure over the center. Then you can throw crap in there without having to tie it down as well.
My friend built a rack setup inside of his van for his ladders. I'll take a picture if he comes by today. It's better than climbing on the roof.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you get a good deal on a van you could get a drop-down ladder rack that makes it easy to load & unload even for us short islanders.
They work well even with the high roof Transits and NV3500s.
We set up a bunch of cable trucks with commercial caps, bed slides, and the drop-down racks.

1654196355783.jpeg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why no lettering on your truck, Tex?

A few reasons.

- I park my truck at my house and it's against HOA to have decals on vehicle.
- I do a decent amount of sub-contract installs for local sign companies. They like it that I don't have branding on the truck.
- 95% of my business is repeat for a small handful of customers... I don't really need or want to advertise for new business.
- If I cut someone off or make a dumb move on the road, It's better being anonymous.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
A few reasons.

- I park my truck at my house and it's against HOA to have decals on vehicle.
- I do a decent amount of sub-contract installs for local sign companies. They like it that I don't have branding on the truck.
- 95% of my business is repeat for a small handful of customers... I don't really need or want to advertise for new business.
- If I cut someone off or make a dumb move on the road, It's better being anonymous.
You forgot the stealth parking at the bars and strip joints.

Signscorp

Let us know how you like it. I'm curious about those but they seem oddly similarly priced to full sized M43 elliots