• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mr.fixit

Hello,
I wanted to get feedback on people’s experiences with UV flatbed printers. We’ve been UV printing (flatbed) for 10 years now and are looking at purchasing our 3rd UV printer.
Our experience with UV printers has been somewhat frustrating. It seems like we spend a lot of time fixing various issues with the printers.
Tech support from the manufacturer and/or distributors is sketchy at best. Often times it seems like we know more about the printers than the service techs.
Both our printers have been from VERY, very well known manufactures in the large format printing industry.
We thoroughly maintain our printers - filters, cleaning, print heads, calibrations etc.
Typically all is good while the printer is under warranty. But when we have a hiccup at year 4, it feels like we are often on our own to trouble shoot and fix.
- What has your uv flatbed experiences been like?
- Has anyone had a great experience with a uv flatbed manufacturer/ distributor that they can recommend specifically with service when a problem arises?

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Look into Digitech. Their equipment is easy to maintain with Operators handling most repair issues with phone support. We’ve been running their equipment for about 6 years and I don‘t remember ever being down for more than 48 hours.

signheremd

We are on our second UV printer. The first was a CET and we had the usual issues with air bubbles in the lines after filter changes and bulbs getting weak as they age, but otherwise it worked well. To replace this printer we bought a FLuidColor printer. Also a HandTop based printer, but with a few parts beefed up. It has LED bulbs, which are better, ionizers, and it has Ricoh gen 6 heads (which are just a tremendous balance of quality and durability). Fluid Color offered a week long training at their facility in Kentucky and it was well worth the time.

Now I would say we know more than many repair techs on troubleshooting and maintenance of these HandTop based machines, and I would say that is a good thing. But the Techs at Fluid Color do know their stuff, as evidenced by the training they offered and by the fact that their company was built by people that reconditioned these type of machines for a living. So between the CET and the FluidColor, we definitely prefer FluidColor.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It would be nice to know what you had and your exp with it.
We've had excellent exp with our canon arizonas. Service in Australia is very good.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
I know we’re a manufacturer but just wanted to show you there are other options out there.

Almost all printers are built the same way with similar components (some not so good and some very good; hence the price).
But what you’re talking about is the support over the next 5-10 years… almost all dealers and manufacturers offer the same support (again, some good and some not so).
StratoJet USA approaches everything from manufacturing, components and support very differently.
If you’re interested, just let me know

Good luck in the process, we’ll be at the Graphics Pro Expo in Long Beach June 13-15

TEN

There are several good choices out there for a UV flatbed printer. We bought a Fluid Color R84F last year and have been very satisfied with all aspects of the printer and the Fluid Color team. We researched all of the major brands, even visited several locations actually using the printers daily to see various flatbeds and we decided on Fluid Color based on their knowledge, service and support. We look at equipment at tradeshows but have learned to find companies actually using the equipment in a daily production environment to get feedback. I suggest adding Fluid Color to your list of printers to review and talk to their team.

ProColorGraphics

I have had my Epson V7000 for just over 3 years now. I have had great luck with it. I have had any real issues, but the random questions I have, I just text the techs and they are normally quick to respond. The main issue with the Epson I would say is that it is just new to them. So there are a few software featuers that would be really nice to have. Hopefully they have some more updates coming soon.

My dream machine is still a SwissQ!! The print quality of the samples I got is just insane! I haven't seen many sign printers, let a lone a uv printer, print completely clear 1pt text! You need a loupe to read it, but it is printed perfect. haha

Maureen Shields

Hello – I see you received some great feedback; that’s what a really like about this forum!

That said, I feel compelled to also chime in.

We have been manufacturing our fully customized Sun 3D large format UV-LED printers, CNC routers and laser equipment since 2014. Our dedicated tech support and training team here in our South Florida shop can be much more responsive than what we know of with the well-known large manufacturers. It helps that our approach is focused on extensive operator training; hence our customers gain more knowledge and are able to handle many issues themselves. This allows for a more collaborate and ultimately quicker resolution.

Visit our website for a glimpse into our company: https://www.sun3dcorporation.com/
If you are in the So Florida area you’re more than welcome to stop by.

One of the key things for me, is that we, as end user, have access to all technical information, all menus including the service menu should be free to access, and no RFID or other chip protection on the inks..

mr.fixit

Appreciate all the responses to the original post. We are in maybe an odd spot. We have our own product line, in a specialty market and are e-commerce based. I agree that Digitech makes a great printer, however it's possibly overkill for our needs. We are significantly above a prosumer level printer, but we probably don't have the demand for a half million dollar printer. Any recommendations for a solid middle of the road printer? Over the years we have looked at Mimiaki, Epson, Vanguard and Cannon. We've also looked at logo jet and Roland. Thoughts on any of them? We already have a printer by one of the companies mentioned (not comfortable calling it out) and we are not thrilled at the thought of continuing on with them. Are we missing anyone that we should be looking at? Any opinions and info appreciated.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Appreciate all the responses to the original post. We are in maybe an odd spot. We have our own product line, in a specialty market and are e-commerce based. I agree that Digitech makes a great printer, however it's possibly overkill for our needs. We are significantly above a prosumer level printer, but we probably don't have the demand for a half million dollar printer. Any recommendations for a solid middle of the road printer? Over the years we have looked at Mimiaki, Epson, Vanguard and Cannon. We've also looked at logo jet and Roland. Thoughts on any of them? We already have a printer by one of the companies mentioned (not comfortable calling it out) and we are not thrilled at the thought of continuing on with them. Are we missing anyone that we should be looking at? Any opinions and info appreciated.
Look at Fluid Color. www.FluidColor.com They make wide open flatbed printers...by wide open I mean you can adjust just about any feature on the unit. You can do 90% of the fixes yourself. Great people behind the unit. Excellent pricing. The machines can be upgraded in the field for more production, too. Available in 4x8 and 5x10. If you want more details, by all means send me an email. You can get a good 4x8 for around $100K

parrott

I have always heard people say it, but I can attest it is very true. Buy more printer than you currently need. The Digitech was very intimidating and over kill for us when we bought it but we very quickly grew into maximizing its production. We have seen significant growth with the machine and our customers absolutely love it. The other thing you have to keep in mind is there is no service contract on the Digitech. That is potentially $30-$40k a year you are saving compared to other machines of that caliber. I have never partnered with a company that takes as good a care of their customers and treats them like family as Digitech does.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When it comes to tech support after warranty, make sure you're buying your inks from the company you want support from. It's sort of like a retainer. If I get a call from a good ink customer and someone who bought a printer 4 years ago and has never bought any ink, I'm helping the ink customer first 100% of the time.

Nate1n22

Look into Digitech. Their equipment is easy to maintain with Operators handling most repair issues with phone support. We’ve been running their equipment for about 6 years and I don‘t remember ever being down for more than 48 hours.
I agree with the repair side of things, but sometimes getting to a conclusion of an issue can be tedious. We have a WhatsApp group text that is nice sometimes, but annoying at other times.
Also the software is very buggy, but it's nice that they're a smaller company and will add features into the software