• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV flatbed

MiguelGonzalez

So I've been doing a lot of signs on ACM and Coreplast lately, I would print and laminate and then apply it to these boards. It took a bit of time to finish when orders are in bulk. How would a UV flatbed printer increase my production speed? How durable is the print? Do I have to laminate them for outdoors? if not will it last as long as a laminated vinyl. And also i assume that production cost be lower as it will be directly printed on boards. Even though I really want an increase in production rate, shorter life of sign for outdoor would be a big NO.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Direct UV print will increase your production speed because you're loading a sheet on it and hitting print, compared to loading a roll, printing it, cutting if off, laminating, mounting etc etc. (We went from mounting vinyl to direct print many years ago)

With that being said (and this will differ depending on what brand of printer you're looking at), the durability and longevity is not the same as solvent printed vinyl. Personally if something needs to be laminated and last a long time outside, we'll print on vinyl, laminate, and mount to ACM. For cheap/temporary/large qty coroplast, UV print is the way to go.

Production costs are indeed lower as you're eliminating the vinyl and/or laminate and the ink is generally cheaper, but again, you're compromising some durability/longevity/scratch resistance etc.

If shorter life outdoors is a NO for you, then I'd say it's a pretty open and shut case.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Typically unlaminated UV inks will last outdoors for about 2 years before fade begins. With a UV laminate, you can get closer to 5 years. UV inks are usually pretty durable and scratch resistant, so if the graphics are not going to be handled much, then you may not need to laminate. The return on investment should be relatively easy to figure....if you are paying $.25/ft2 for adhesive vinyl, then every 4x8 sheet will be saving you $8.00 in material costs alone....If the graphic is not going to be outdoors or outdoors and under 2 years of performance, then you'd pocket the costs of the laminate as well as the labor/time for the laminate.

Your profile says you live in India? You could get a HandTop unit for a relatively inexpensive price point and probably realize a ROI in 2-3 years as most of our customers see.

petepaz

we have a roland LEJ, fuji acuity and and EFI all three are used for outdoor signage. the EFI we have only had a little over a year so not 100% on ink life but the other two have signs out there over 5 years and they are ok. you are going to get a little big of fade over time but how much depends on the amount of weathering they are exposed too. overall we have not had any issues (now that i have said that i am waiting for the phone to ring with my first complaint..haha)

MiguelGonzalez

Well thanks for the info, I occasionally print indoor and short term signs for wedding, etc. But most of my jobs are for outdoor signs and the sun is pretty extreme here I'd say, so i think for now Roll to roll solvent is enough for me.

MiguelGonzalez

Typically unlaminated UV inks will last outdoors for about 2 years before fade begins. With a UV laminate, you can get closer to 5 years. UV inks are usually pretty durable and scratch resistant, so if the graphics are not going to be handled much, then you may not need to laminate. The return on investment should be relatively easy to figure....if you are paying $.25/ft2 for adhesive vinyl, then every 4x8 sheet will be saving you $8.00 in material costs alone....If the graphic is not going to be outdoors or outdoors and under 2 years of performance, then you'd pocket the costs of the laminate as well as the labor/time for the laminate.

Your profile says you live in India? You could get a HandTop unit for a relatively inexpensive price point and probably realize a ROI in 2-3 years as most of our customers see.
Never heard of this brand before, I'll check them out. Here in India problems i usually face with smaller brands/manufacturers are low quality ink, poor customer service, etc. That's why i so sold my old printer and got the epson s40.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Never heard of this brand before, I'll check them out. Here in India problems i usually face with smaller brands/manufacturers are low quality ink, poor customer service, etc. That's why i so sold my old printer and got the epson s40.
Handtop is a well established printer manufacturer in China...easy to fix yourself and customizable. Most certainly worth a look.