• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV LED Printing ADA signs

Ardor Creative

I used a DCS printer years ago and wasn't too content with it. I now have my own company and just purchased a Mutoh 661. So far I'm very happy with the easy of use and how it's cartridge fed for the inks. I'm just finishing up my first ADA job on it.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Run far and run fast from Direct Color Printers. My experience (even though it's been six years now) is that they are complete garbage- as is there support and commitment to their customers.

graphics22

We have DCS printers. plaqued with problems if we had another solution for producing ADA signs using a similar system we would take a sledgehammer to both. Anyone out there know of a tested solution for ADA besides the rowmark/duets system and no photopolymer please we got rid of our photopolymer system years ago, not efficient at all.

OakhurstPrinter

We run a Mimaki JFX200 and have just acquired a DCS UTB. Our biggest issue is the Mimaki prints a primer where the DCS does not. All of our tactile and braille is breaking off easily. Due to our process, applying the adhesion promoter defeats the purpose for purchasing the DCS as it adds a step when we are trying to eliminate steps. We are still in testing and the machine has produced no profits yet. Colors are great, machine is quiet compared to the Mimaki, and the training staff is helpful when you can reach them. Just some of our recent experience to consider.
I needed to go back and update this. The DCS is definitely not recommended. We have the newest version and it is RIDDLED with pressure issues, ink draining out on the table, false errors, and little annoying glitches that come and go. This machine is one of the most irritating printers to operate and never seems to replicate outputs. In fact, before we even completed our first job the ink pump went out and they had to send out a new one. The software is not geared to larger outputs of ADA and after speaking to the software engineers, they didn't really seem to know what we were trying to print. The support staff are friendly and eager to help, but the answers are typically the same (prime the white ink, clean the encoder strip, purge the ink and air, etc.). I believe we will be looking in to another solution. Buyer Beware.

OakhurstPrinter

We have DCS printers. plaqued with problems if we had another solution for producing ADA signs using a similar system we would take a sledgehammer to both. Anyone out there know of a tested solution for ADA besides the rowmark/duets system and no photopolymer please we got rid of our photopolymer system years ago, not efficient at all.
There are some good recommendations further up in this thread. We are having nothing but problems with our DCS. Please let us know if you pull the trigger on one and how it turns out!

Superior_Adam

7 printers! WOW! Good for you! I’m starting much smaller, for budget reasons. I’m really leaning towards uv print instead of other methods. I have a couple questions:
Most of the signs well make will be for state funded projects we bid on.
Do you quote state funded jobs where architects are involved and specs? Have you had architects refuse your uv signs?
We have to give a 5 year warranty on the signs we install, have you had problems with the longevity of the Braille/copy? Do you think a 5 year warranty is achievable?
What brand of machinery do you use? Have you encountered Direct Color Systems?
Thank you for all the help.
We run Trotec lasers to cut the wording and figures out as it gives it a lot cleaner look that using a rotary engraver. We have Xenetech and Vision engravers that allow us to engrave the holes for the raster beads. The vision would allow you to cut the works and figures punch the holes and insert the beads all on 1 machine. For small order we hand insert the beads. On large orders we use the Vision and insert the tool into the machine and let it insert the beads. Trying to print everything and get the layers built up on UV would be a slow and painful process. When we print designs it is reversed on the backside of the acrylic so there would not be any issues getting 5 years out of that.