• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV or Latex---which last longer?

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Happy Thursday sign ninjas! I have a job coming up that will be a lot of pieces. We usually do HP latex prints on IJ-40C w/ matte lam., and then apply the prints to ACM. Because of the volume of pieces in the upcoming project, I was wondering if having the signs printed on a flatbed printer may be a life saver (avoiding the cutting of prints, registering them on the blanks, and applying). My questions are:
---Would flatbed printing directly on the ACM and then laminated with a liquid laminate have the same longevity as the latex prints we currently do on the IJ-40C w/matte lam.?

---If not, would covering the ACM with print media and then flatbed printing the graphics help in the longevity dept.?...basically with this method I suppose the questions would be:
---Is UV ink as durable as latex ink?
---Does UV ink adhere to materials as well as latex ink?

I'd appreciate any insight and recommendations...I always learn a lot from everyone here.

bigben

I do prints on ACM for information in regional parks (history of the place with pictures). I've tried uv flatbed and latex and some signs are there for a bit less than 10 years now.

UV print is a lot faster and cost less. But I've tries many finish like clear coat (multiple layer), film laminate for uv print and liquid lamination. I've tried ink from Mimaki, Canon and swiss q. No matter what I do, the print life is less than latex (ink from the HP L260).
That been said. The only combination I've found to have the best expecting life et using Convex high tac vinyl and thick laminate use for motocross. It make the total price of the sign very expensive, but It's the best combination I've tried so far.

If you are using calendred vinyl and lam like the IJ-40C, don't expect a lifespan over than 3-5 years. Use a cast/high tac material.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
I do prints on ACM for information in regional parks (history of the place with pictures). I've tried uv flatbed and latex and some signs are there for a bit less than 10 years now.

UV print is a lot faster and cost less. But I've tries many finish like clear coat (multiple layer), film laminate for uv print and liquid lamination. I've tried ink from Mimaki, Canon and swiss q. No matter what I do, the print life is less than latex (ink from the HP L260).
That been said. The only combination I've found to have the best expecting life et using Convex high tac vinyl and thick laminate use for motocross. It make the total price of the sign very expensive, but It's the best combination I've tried so far.

If you are using calendred vinyl and lam like the IJ-40C, don't expect a lifespan over than 3-5 years. Use a cast/high tac material.
Thanks for sharing. In google searching I was unable to find the answers to the questions, which is why I posted here. About the IJ-40C---not sure why, maybe it's the matte lam?, but the prints are holding up incredibly well...have some out there that I feel are 7+ years---no fading and no shrinking. Thanks again for sharing your personal experience---at this time I'm feeling the right thing to do is to bite the bullet and print on the vinyl as opposed to printing directly on the ACM. Thanks again.