• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help UV Printed Cast Vinyl Cracks and comes unstuck after 6 months

Iulian Strutu

Hi!

I'm struggling for a year now to find a reliable way to mount vinyls on vehicles with printed vinyl but no joy.
For me it's obvious now that the vinyl is cracking because of the UV print. I have a FujiFilm LED roll to roll printer and I have this issue only with printed vinyl.
First I used PoliPrint 1200(75mic calendered vinyl), Ritrama RiJet 75 and finally Ritrama Cast RiJet 50. I didn't overlaminate them... if it matters

Does this happened to anyone before?

There is a solution beside printing the vinyl on solvent or latex printer?
I'm thinking if lowering UV lamps intensity or a special vinyl will do...

Many thanks,
Julian
225879861_841932506762351_7593750867028647980_n.jpg
222567588_351635403035247_1205929558339987366_n.jpg
217583831_146888777457562_2817656162885225392_n.jpg
123944408_365858081303217_145465343690404458_n.jpg

Asuma01

You should only be using cast vinyl that has been laminated on vehicles. Unless its for short term graphics that will be removed after a few months. Ideally with an eco-solvent or latex printer.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
UV printers are not really used for vinyl wrapping. As the ink sticks to the surface rather than bonds into the vinyl like solvents.
Although you can laminate them, the ink still may peel off the edges with the laminate.

Inks

UV printers are not really used for vinyl wrapping. As the ink sticks to the surface rather than bonds into the vinyl like solvents.
Although you can laminate them, the ink still may peel off the edges with the laminate.
There are UV inks for rigid stocks and UV inks for flexible stocks that are also compatible with PVC. If the laminate is peeling or falling off, then there is most likely a curing issue.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
UV lamps can cause vinyl to turn brittle. Lowering the lamp intensity and lower passes might make a difference.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
UV lamps can cause vinyl to turn brittle. Lowering the lamp intensity and lower passes might make a difference

Inks

You can't print vehicle wraps with a UV printer..
3M and EFI have a warranty program for their uv inks/material for wraps. Most UV inks used on flatbeds are not flexible enough and are designed for rigid stocks. Curing may also impact the adhesion etc. You can print with UV but not everyone has a 6 figure printer. Roll to toll solvent base would be the most common and easiest method, unless you are decorating many trailers, boats and vehicles.

Retro Graphics

if you print on calendar, lam with calendar, if you print on cast, lam with cast.... don't mix them, I have printed UV wraps and had them on for 2 years so far without any such peeling. What UV inks are you using? The only time my prints rip like that is if I'm ripping them off without heat.

WB

Maybe technology has changed since I last had a UV printer. My Old AGFA was definitely not useable for vehicle graphics. if I was going to focus on Vehicle wraps a UV printer would be my last choice.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Maybe technology has changed since I last had a UV printer. My Old AGFA was definitely not useable for vehicle graphics. if I was going to focus on Vehicle wraps a UV printer would be my last choice.
Times have, we now wrap all the time with our Canon Colorado 1650 and I know a few shops that use their Mimaki UVJC for wraps.

To the OP, I suspect that the lack of laminate is contributing to this. a Good UV rejecting overlaminate will help reduces the excessive curing which is causing your films to become brittle.

Retro Graphics

Times have, we now wrap all the time with our Canon Colorado 1650 and I know a few shops that use their Mimaki UVJC for wraps.
Using a mimaki ucjv here.
The jeep was done about 2 years ago in my garage at about 60 degrees and a space heater and a heat gun lol. The jeep is about to a tually be stripped and rewrapped with a new custom design.

The truck was done a week ago with a wonderful ambient temps of 70-75 degrees.

Attachments

• 6ED8C837-6A36-415C-8626-7759FED9FE27.jpeg
    6ED8C837-6A36-415C-8626-7759FED9FE27.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 286
  • 4A3B1A84-3912-4565-9C0B-F1341C00F85D.jpeg
    4A3B1A84-3912-4565-9C0B-F1341C00F85D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 258

Retro Graphics

Using a mimaki ucjv here.
The jeep was done about 2 years ago in my garage at about 60 degrees and a space heater and a heat gun lol. The jeep is about to a tually be stripped and rewrapped with a new custom design.

The truck was done a week ago with a wonderful ambient temps of 70-75 degrees.
the pic if the jeep is from 2 days ago. Also its only on the doors below the window line.

Ronny Axelsson

My experience with UV-ink on vinyl is limited to small stickers but I can tell you that if they are printed to the edges and put up outdoors, the ink will continue to harden over time and the edges will start to curl in a couple of months.
I have seen stickers curl until they fell off because of this.
A laminate will most likely delay the process but I would not trust it for a car wrap.

FWIW, I have switched to flexible inks in my printer but it is too soon to tell whether it is better or not.

Last edited: