• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printers - Help and Feedback Needed

Nicca

Hello. I am a new member and I need help. We want to buy a UV LED printer and we chose it out these three models:
Mimaki UJF 3042 FX
Direct Color System 1024 UV HS
Roland LEF 20
After analyzing these machines, we realized they have similar technical specifications. The 1024 UV HS is the only one that prints Textur3D 3-dimentional prints.

What we want to ask you is:
The Mimaki and Roland brands are very famous, and we know very little about the Direct Color System 1024 UV HS. We would like to know if someone would share their experiences with it.

Thank you.

netrave

Anything Direct color system is garbage.

there printers are modified Epsons - they have tons of issues.

I have 2 UJF 3042 - i also have been having major issues with them. BUT not the same issues you will see with a direct color systems printer.

Im having an issue with one of ours banding - we are working with Mimaki to try and get this resolved.

To be honest Direct Color has better support and customer service than Mimaki does - but the machine itself is no where near as industrial.

I also tried to buy a Roland- The roland looks promising but every time we tried to demo it -the machine never worked properly.

It was having issues thinking the top cover itself was open and just glitching like crazy. I think it tested it the first week it came out so maybe they fixed some of the glitches.

As far as the print quality - i promise you - the UJF has MUCH better print quality than both the roland and the DCS - the DCS will claim a remarkable resolution - which may be true - but the issue is, it lays down SO much ink that the image just blurs itself.

The roland does have good print quality also - but the speed of it was about half that of the UFJ and it requires the BOFA exhaust unit.

Its a tuff choice - i love our Mimakis WHEN THEY WORK correctly - but when they work they are amazing. I have been working with Mimaki for the past 3 weeks trying to get this fixed and i hope they do something about it.

I would say test drive the Roland and if they fixed the issues that I was seeing - that might be the best unit out there at this point - just based off Rolands reliability and the amount of Techs that they have on staff.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and in order for me to get my Mimaki repaired i have to have a tech drive down from Orlando - 4 hours away. When you buy a Roland you will have a tech literally every 10 miles.

But when it all comes down to it its up to you - my 2 cents would be the Mimaki or the Roland - but again test drive both and see who has more support in your area because ultimately WHEN it breaks thats what you will be waiting on no matter which machine you get.

jennab

I also cannot recommend buying a DCS printer. My shop has a DCS 1024 UV printer, and we're currently in the process of replacing it with a Roland Lef-20 or a Mimaki.

We started with a solvent DCS printer (two years ago) and eventually had it switched out for their UV -- their answer to our issues with the solvent. In the past year and a half, we've had to replace the motor (and even the new one has issues -- the box it's built within began melting around it), the x-axis motor (twice due to mechanical failure), and the print head. We've also had pretty consistent issues with ink clogging and slowing of the print speed (printing will randomly drop to half speed at times -- we have yet to have a tech successfully diagnose the issue). There is a major amount of work involved just to get this machine running smoothly every day. It seems that as soon as we've gotten it running a new issue pops up. On the plus side, DCS does have great customer service. We've been working with one tech in particular for the past six months who will respond to emails/calls at almost any hour. We also love how opaque the white ink is with our DCS -- even with only one pass. Something we're not going to find with either the Mimaki or the Roland.

Nicca

Thank you for your reply.

I have already heard many negative comments about the DCS printer.. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Mimaki UJF3042 FX and the Roland LEF20. My issue is that the Roland machine is relatively new and very few people know about it, and I have recieved very few comments about it. I think I am going to end up choosing the Mimaki even though i've heard that the technical service is not very good.

Thank you,

Roque Yidi

netrave

Do your research. I made the same mistake. I don't think any of them at that great to be honest - but I'm going to really look at the Roland and see how they are doing compared to my experience with Mimaki. I have had a horrible experience. I would even consider selling BOTH my machines to find a better solution. Thats how bad of and experience I have had.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Mutoh also now has two UVLED printers, one 19" and one 64". Anyone in the NJ area can come to our open house Thursday and Friday of this week and check them out.

netrave

Mutoh also now has two UVLED printers, one 19" and one 64". Anyone in the NJ area can come to our open house Thursday and Friday of this week and check them out.
'

You have any videos of these machines? What platform is it based on? Is it a modified Epson? What print head does it use? What size Ink cartridges does it hold?

I am open to seeing / testing anything at the moment. Im super disappointed with these Mimaki's. Not that I think anything is going to be perfect but I kid you not - i have had a tech in my shop every week for 2 days at a time for the entire time we have had it and still can't get them working correctly.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I can make some videos. I just installed the 64" one yesterday and have to calibrate it still. The 19" is coming in today. I saw both operating at the ISA show in April and the image quality was great.

Like all Mutoh printers they both use Epson print heads, I can get you the exact model when I get to the office. The 1626UH is based off Mutoh's 1617H printer. We have sold 5 of the 1617 in the past year with great success. From what I understand both printers use the same inks and they come in 220 cartridges. In the USA the 19" lists for $19,995 and the 64" lists for $49,995. The 19" can print on objects up to 2.75" thick and the 64" can print up to .5" thick. I have attached some pictures of the 1626UH from yesterday.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140617_080811.png
    ForumRunner_20140617_080811.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 361
  • ForumRunner_20140617_080827.png
    ForumRunner_20140617_080827.png
    298 KB · Views: 341
  • ForumRunner_20140617_080839.png
    ForumRunner_20140617_080839.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 344

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Attached are some pictures of the VJ-1626UH and also a video of the first print we ran off the printer. This print was done on a 3mil Gloss Vinyl. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to make a video of it on rigid material yet.

[video=youtube_share;-wVAjaNqjmU]http://youtu.be/-wVAjaNqjmU[/video]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 348

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
When you are setup in CMYK + White and Varnish you get two channels each of white and varnish and one channel of the CMYK.

If you are setup in just CMYK you get two channels each of CMYK so the printer is faster in this mode.

DCSMktg

Direct Color Systems appreciates any and all feedback, both positive and negative. It provides insight to areas where we can help our customers become more profitable. You can find a detailed listing of companies who are using their Direct Jet UV LED printer at peak performance levels at http://www.directcolorsystems.com/printovators.

All customers and prospects are urged to take a look at this page as it houses success stories from a worldwide customer base. DCS is proud of everything these PRINTOVATORS have accomplished, and hope that you find their business cases to be informative and inspirational reads.

- Michael Perrelli, Marketing Manager

ingenio

Mimaki UJF is by far the best.
I have one and am very happy with it.

This comparison can help you.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 371

Ditchmiester

In the same boat

We are currently testing small format UV machines and I can tell you that the DCS machines are garbage. was not impressed with them at all. The Mimaki UJF seems to be the leader in our standings right now. We are waiting for samples to come back from a few other include the Graphics One F24. Will keep you updated on what we find.

R3 Solutions

Samples

We are currently testing small format UV machines and I can tell you that the DCS machines are garbage. was not impressed with them at all. The Mimaki UJF seems to be the leader in our standings right now. We are waiting for samples to come back from a few other include the Graphics One F24. Will keep you updated on what we find.

Did you ever receivethe Graphis One samples? If so, how did they compare to the Mimaki?

Ditchmiester

We did receive samples and they looked fabulous. I'm flying out to California Sunday to do a demo at their facility to get a better feel for the printer. They also offer a 2'x4' machine that is around 43K and we are interested in seeing that one as well. The adhesion they had on our materials were phenomenal. We don't do any photographic prints so I didn't get anything like that from them but I will make sure to check out the full capabilities while I am there next week. Will post photos and videos of the machine from my trip.

R3 Solutions

Logo Jet Samples

We did receive samples and they looked fabulous. I'm flying out to California Sunday to do a demo at their facility to get a better feel for the printer. They also offer a 2'x4' machine that is around 43K and we are interested in seeing that one as well. The adhesion they had on our materials were phenomenal. We don't do any photographic prints so I didn't get anything like that from them but I will make sure to check out the full capabilities while I am there next week. Will post photos and videos of the machine from my trip.

We just got samples from Logo Jet and are waiting for samples from Graphics One. The Logo Jet samples are very nice.