• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV printing not sticking compared to solvent

jeffkics

Sign Says
I recently printed a bunch of 12x18 stickers on my new UV printer, using a UV and Eco Solvent vinyl. Avery 2903ez

I have printed these stickers in the past using my roland versacamm Eco-Solvent in the past without any problem.

I printed them this time on my new UV thinking I no longer needed to do laminate, and the customer complained he is having problems with them sticking to his containers.

Is there a reason for this? They are putting them on the same containers as they did with me printing on my eco.

HELP :)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It probably has more to do with the cleanliness of the containers, how they clean, squeegee technique and pressuree, and the temperature they install at than the ink. Solvents do migrate through the adhesive and soften it, making it more aggressive initially. That may be covering for their poor installation techniques. UV shouldn't have any negative affects on the adhesive. After about 48 to 72 hours the adhesive wets out and builds a maximum bond, solvent and UV should stick the same.

Have you ever given them any direction on proper cleaning and installation or watched them install some?

Saturn

Aging Member
Could also be the "problem" sticking is related to the thickness now? I know handling unlaminated stuff can be tricky for the uninitiated—really thin and likes to curl up or stick to itself. ?

I second trying to watch them install one.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Second that, the biggest change here is that they’re now unlaminated, not that they’re printed UV.

The lam helps them stay more rigid and is a bit more forgiving. Always found we’re less likely to get creases too.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
What kind of containers? IM figuring that the 2903 isn't aggressive enough adhesive for them? The vinyl doesn't care whether its printed UV or solvent.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Unlaminated cast vinyl is a pain to install, but calendared is thick enough to install without laminate. I don't see what lamination has to do with it failing.

jeffkics

Sign Says
What kind of containers? IM figuring that the 2903 isn't aggressive enough adhesive for them? The vinyl doesn't care whether its printed UV or solvent.

Metal garbage containers. Big ones.
Just to clarify, the ones I printed on ecosolvent and then laminated stick better than the uv printed. Accourding to client.
Both printed on same calendared vinyl.

jeffkics

Sign Says
I had one of their stickers that I had printed with my ecosolvent and was laminated a while ago. I stuck it to my aluminum siding building. I also stuck the uv printed one at the same time. Let them bake in the sun all day and took them off at the end of the day.
The difference was dramatic. Uv came right off. The solvent came off but was stuck a whole lot more.
Dosnt make any sense to me.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
As state above, the solvent can and will cause the adhesive to soften up some. But it sounds more like a bad roll as well. Try testing out your theory with other vinyls....180 controltak...high tac...low tac even. See what you come up with.
We run Latex and UV here and the only issue we have ever seen is with a bad coating from 3m or GF that won't run on Latex...but prints well on UV. Adhesive reacted the same no matter what though.

danno

UV ink sits on top of the vinyl. Most solvent or eco-solvent machines "etch" into the vinyl. Depending on the saturation levels, that could change the characteristics of the adhesive. I have over saturated some vinyl in my day and found that it was tackier than expected.