• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printing on DiBond

ProColorGraphics

To those who print onto DiBond (ACP, MaxMetal, Etc.) with a UV printer, wondering what you use to clean the panel with before printing? ie. alcohol, cleaner, adhesion promoter, etc.

rdm01

99% Isopropyl alcohol. Some ACM works better than others. We've found some you can scrape off with your thumb nail, while others (not even necessarily the designated "digital print" variety) will have a much higher bond with the ink.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
If you can pull the liner off in one smooth movement without any stops, just print without cleaning as Bly said.
Otherwise we have to hit the entire panel with 99% iso as it leaves lines where the liner stops momentarily while peeling off.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
I’ve tried a few brands of ACM, including importing 400 panels from 2 different Chinese manufacturers. After dealing with inconsistent ink adhesion, even with promoters, I calculated all of the time and wasted materials and switched to Grimco’s MaxMetalDP. Peel the liner off, which takes about 2 seconds, and print away.

ItsNujo

I print regularly on Max Metal. I’ve found that I really have to put some muscle into cleaning it. I used 90% Alcohol, a micro fiber, and clean it no less than two times. Normally I go for 3. Other wise I tend to get marks from the release liner in my lighter colors. Same problem with printing on Luster board.

chinaski

I never clean the panel before printing with any chemical. Only use an anti-static brush to remove any debris. If I try to use 99% isopropyl alcohol, it will leave streaking marks on the surface, no matter how thorough I am.

I'm using Oce Arizona 257 inks. When I used Marabu inks (more industrial), I would generally clean surface with alcohol if there was any debris, since streaking wasn't an issue with that ink, but adhesion has never been an issue either way. I prefer using a soft bristle brush —faster and covers more areas