• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV T-shirts Possible With Print Media or Need Alternative Ways to Do T-shirts (Latex, DTF). Is allergy to Latex a Possibility?

calvinh

HISTORY:

We are replacing our Roland SP300v with a mimaki ucjv300 so that we can expand into a wider market. However, we do not want to loose the capability to do print and cut type t-shirts. We also from time to time may need to cut (none printable vinyl). I wouldn't want to put that in the uv printer. We would probably get a stand alone cutter (that can read crop marks) to do vinyl and cut thing we print from the ucjv300. We are a home based business so we do not have a lot of space for a lot of different machines. We are installing a ventilation system in the area the machine will be in (which isn't in the main area of the house).

ISSUE:

We will like the ability to do full color t-shirts here and there and are trying to figure a low cost way to continue doing t-shirts.

I have seen a lot of talk about doing t-shirts on a uv printer isn't good because it can't cure correctly on the fibers of the shirt and that the inks are toxic and irritating to skin. Then I have seen a few videos about a media now being sold that can be printed on using an uv printer and pressed onto shirts. Anyone using such a media and/or have knowledge this method? I wouldn't want to offer something that could seep through and cause irritation/harm to a customer. I only do a few shirts here and there so I really don't want to buy a new eco solvent printer (possibly a Roland table top BN-20 printer $7,000) to only do a few shirts here and there.

I have been considering adding a table top DTF printer (possibly a prestige A3 R printer and table top dryer/vent system) as from my research the company selling it offers lots of training/support. However, I hear DTF is a learning curve and high maintenance. I only do a few shirts but expect that to increase. I don't want to add something right now that is high maintenance especially until we learn how to use our uv printer. I have been sourcing out to a DTF printer but they don't look vibrancy. They have me gang the jobs but to me that doesn't address the needs of each different job (color profiling, vibrancy, etc.). I also can't be sure of color consistency as they change their color profiles from time to time. While the transfers are sellable it's not what I would offer if I had control of the process.

All said, I am trying to determine if uv printed t-shirts are a possibility using a t-shirt media. Are others doing it? Should it be a concern about shirts printed using a t-shirt media (seeping through garments), etc? We are looking for a low cost option as we've already splurged on the ucjv300. Any additional purchase of equipment isn't really in the budget.

Finally, those doing latex printed t-shirts. Could that pose an allergy response for those with latex allergies? I am not familiar with technology but have heard of people with latex allergies. Do want to offer something that would harm those with allergies.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Finally, those doing latex printed t-shirts. Could that pose an allergy response for those with latex allergies? I am not familiar with technology but have heard of people with latex allergies. Do want to offer something that would harm those with allergies.
There is no rubber latex in latex inks so you're good from that perspective. The polymers in the ink are latex like so they call it latex ink which is confusing.

Also, certain people are sensitive to UV inks. One guy here on signs101 had a pretty intense reaction to the inks and basically couldn't be in the same room as the printers and other people work with them all day every day with no issues. I don't know if it can still happen after the ink has cured though.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Also, certain people are sensitive to UV inks. One guy here on signs101 had a pretty intense reaction to the inks and basically couldn't be in the same room as the printers and other people work with them all day every day with no issues. I don't know if it can still happen after the ink has cured though.

Yeah I wouldn't put one of those units in my house. Coming home from a full day of printing (not even in the same room/area as my office) I can still smell ink on all my clothes and change them before picking up our baby.

To the OP - I'd be more concerned about fumes before worrying about how the prints will last in the wash.

ToTo

Professional Support
For printing on shirts I can recommend the Ricoh R-1000. you can print even on black fabric and DTF. And maintenance is really easy. Just shake the white cartridge once a day. Latex isn’t a good choice and UV is forbidden in my opinion due to the fact that you can’t control the polymerisation in the fiber. And both are fading in the washing machine.

GC Decor

Super Printer
I would drop the idea of UV printing at home - lots of the ink are toxic to say the least and can make a ton of fumes. One or two prints might be fine but when you get large orders you’ll have issues.
We bought a UV printer with a Boha filter and the smell was horrible had tons of other people reach out with similar issue. $30k loss on my part - don’t make the same mistake we did.

We grew a lot and now have multiple UV printers, all vented to our roof and no problems (in a commercial complex) You also have to worry about we’re you are venting the fumes. If they float over to another house you’re in big trouble if they get EPA involved. Hope this was helpful.

Ronny Axelsson

FWIW, I have made some tests with a Mutoh VJ-626UF flatbed UV-printer, with both rigid (UH21) and flexible (US11) inks.
They both printed nice on the transfer material I use (Siser Colorprint), and wash and scratch resistance is very good (add some varnish and I would say excellent).
BUT, I found the rigid ink to be useless due to extreme shrinkage when heated.
Flexible inks doesn't have the same shrinkage and based on my rather limited tests and a few small production runs, I would say that it is definitely usable.

I have also run this material on a latex printer (HP 365) with very good results.
I found latex ink to have good wash and scratch resistance (better than for example eco solvents), and there is no problem running the Colorprint material on an HP latex.

• First Place
Reactions: 2B