• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vanguard VK300D Ink Chipping

Joe_S

Hello all! First time poster. Gotta question to pose: has anyone that has been printing on the Vanguard 300 ever have issues with the ink chipping when using coroplast boards? Here's the situation: I have been printing on this machine for over a year now, love the quality that it produces. We've had problems with static on coroplast, especially in the winter. Along with keeping the static bar cleaned, using a mister/humidifier, AND using a static spray, we've paved a way to good static-free results. Butttt, when I print on coroplast, the ink starts to chip. If you begin to scratch the ink, it starts to flake off. Talking with tech support, it was found that our chiller was defective and not giving the UV lights a proper chance to cure the ink. Fine. The chiller was replaced. Lamps were checked. Everything is a o.k.
Yet, I am still getting chipping/flaking after I print on coro.
Anyone have any suggestions?

VISCOM

Hello all! First time poster. Gotta question to pose: has anyone that has been printing on the Vanguard 300 ever have issues with the ink chipping when using coroplast boards? Here's the situation: I have been printing on this machine for over a year now, love the quality that it produces. We've had problems with static on coroplast, especially in the winter. Along with keeping the static bar cleaned, using a mister/humidifier, AND using a static spray, we've paved a way to good static-free results. Butttt, when I print on coroplast, the ink starts to chip. If you begin to scratch the ink, it starts to flake off. Talking with tech support, it was found that our chiller was defective and not giving the UV lights a proper chance to cure the ink. Fine. The chiller was replaced. Lamps were checked. Everything is a o.k.
can you send pics of the problem... are you using Coroplast brand Corona treated ???

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
It could be two things the inks or the lamps. Never worked Vanguard, so not sure if this is a common problem in the machine. But these could be the two other factors..

davecich

Joe,
I will have Jang give you a call. On some of the coro we see coming from oversees, the dyne level is pretty low as the corona treatment wears off over time. We have lamp setting that will fix this. With domestic coro our adhesion is very good.

Dave

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
It could be two things the inks or the lamps. Never worked Vanguard, so not sure if this is a common problem in the machine. But these could be the two other factors..
This is correct. Using corona-treated Coroplast could help but lamps and ink are always the main factors with adhesion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jay etheredge

I like how people are giving black and white advice. You can’t say “always “ because it’s just not true. I’ve found that “0ften” adhesion issues are cheap substrate. Of course if you aren’t using cheap substrate then it’s ink or lamps. How many passes are you using?

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I've seen many adhesion issues on several materials. Never had anyone concerned about Coroplast because they are short term signs. Shops that are printing on acrylic can have issues when cutting with a router afterwards.
Once they pretreat the acrylics with an adhesion promoter, the problem goes away.
You can get Bulldog Adhesion promoter in a spray can at an auto parts store like Pepboys. It's clear and you just need a quick spray down to assist yourself.
It would be convenient for you since it is flexible since it was designed to pretreat flexible bumpers before painting.

colourxl

Hi Joe,
I know this is an old thread but I will "chip" in as I have had the exact same experience with the VR5D. Our problem was cheap substrates with low dyne level. I bought a new stack of 4mm coro from Grimco and the ink doesn't budge and the cost difference at volume was only a dollar or 2 more per sheet.
The other supplier may be selling older stock which unfortunately means the corona treatment is wearing off. Jang enlightened me on this fact.

I also found a solution to work with the older stock, and it is available form supply55 and easy to buy on Amazon. Adhesion promoters, AP3155 and AP2155. I have only used the AP3155 so far.
The ink sticks to that coroplast now like napalm. I dilute the solution probably 1:15 with Isopropyl alcohol and it works wonders.
Next, run the machine in express mode, like 2 pass and see if the adhesion is better. I found that laying less ink allowed the curing process to be more efficient on the coro and yielded decent and sellable results.

Try that and let me know if that solves your problem.

RR

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
New plastic from a good supplier will help greatly with this. You can also try a product called Kolorcure to wipe on.

MelloImagingTechnologies

My customer who is running this ink makes the coroplast graphics that are put around the skids of water that are outside by gas pumps all over the country and the problem with using any Uv printer originally was cracking ink when the Coro is folded on install.
So I sold them a Vanguard 300 which can print a 4x8 in 2 minutes and we set up with the new flexible ink.
I built a profile for the new ink and when I do that I print it on adhesive vinyl so I can use my high speed Eye One isis.
When finishing I was able to stretch the vinyl and the inks acted much like a solvent ink with no cracks.
I’ve been experimenting with new technologies on inkjet wide format printing for 25 years.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations

Hey did your problem get resolved with the ink chipping or is it still happening ?

Patrick Farrell

Just started having this issue on black PVC when laying down white for a print. I was told that the ink that we are using is already high adhesion. Does that mean that it gets worse hahaha?

MelloImagingTechnologies

this is similar to what happened with banners a few years ago.
See it occurring now and it’s the plasticizer emitting from the Coroplast
Try wiping them down with alcohol before printing.
Bruce