• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable Data - Is this possible?

DravidDavid

Hi guys,

I've got an interesting problem where I need to attack variable data sets differently to how I have done in the past.

In the past, I've loaded CSV files directly in to VersaWorks and set them up from there. Now I require slightly more control, however the information I can find on variable data does not suggest to me that what I want to do can be done.

I need to set up these files to a particular dimension in a specific way multiple times over (2500 to be exact) but the way in which variable data is managed in Illustrator seems to make this task impossible or at least very clumsy to handle.

See attached image for what I mean.

attachment.php

Each CSV file has 100 or so names (100 exactly I think) and there are 100 boxes. I need to be able to exchange a data set out for a new one and populate the boxes as shown in lots of 100.
As far as I can tell, InDesign is the only application with a way to do this, but do you think I can figure it out? I've tried internet tutorials, but they all seem to want to do business cards in mass and not anything similar to this, so I'm lost.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have Illustrator/InDesign and FlexiSign at my disposal if that helps.

Attachments

• lables.jpg
    lables.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 379

Antnee

I use Marcom Fusion Pro for variable data.

http://marcom.com/fusionpro/

I make a pdf then create the different fields in Acrobat. I can put multiple data fields in different locations.

Can you make an example of what your fields would be?

GB2

Old Member
It seems that you can accomplish that with InDesign but I'd need a clearer idea of exactly what you are trying to do to give you specific help.

DravidDavid

Thanks for the replies guys! All options on the table right now.

To give you a better idea of what we are trying to do, is put names on crosses for a display. We have 2500 of them to do with only a small guillotine to cut them up, hence the specific arrangement to cut down cutting time.

The order does not matter at all. In my screenshot below shows a row of blocks with names. The other blocks will also have names, so this is just an example. We have around 20 CSV files (but can request them in whatever file type we like) which we would usually push directly in to VersaWorks and set up from there, but what we want to do now is slightly more complex.

attachment.php

Once set up, a PDF or EPS will be saved and they will be sent to VersaWorks and printed that way.

Ideally, what we want out of all this, is the ability to take a CSV (or whatever is required) and tell the software "Here is my data, please put it in my pre-defined boxes the way I told you to". Each set would be arranged the same way in the same format and within the same template with the obvious change being the names only.

I had a play with InDesign and worked out how to import sets of data, but have not yet worked out how to assign them to a template with my desired fields. The closest I've gotten is arranging them all on a page with specific margins and dimensions.

I feel like I'm on the right track, but this is all very new to me. I'll definitely be watching some YouTube tutorials on this. I'll be looking in to Marcom Fusion Pro also. This is going to be an on-going thing, so if there is any automated solution out there to decrease the intensity of the labour involved, I'm interested!

Attachments

• name_layout.PNG
    name_layout.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 283

Steph_Stamm

As others have mentioned, auto-serialization in Flexi will do the trick. Have a look at our YouTube video which will show you how to quickly achieve what you need: [video=youtube;J2izeVJcQhs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2izeVJcQhs[/video].

signman88

You might want to do that in Cut & Stack order to save you more time after you impose. I use InDesign for merging with the DesignMerge Plug-in. If you ever have questions with that, let me know.

Hi guys,

I've got an interesting problem where I need to attack variable data sets differently to how I have done in the past.

In the past, I've loaded CSV files directly in to VersaWorks and set them up from there. Now I require slightly more control, however the information I can find on variable data does not suggest to me that what I want to do can be done.

I need to set up these files to a particular dimension in a specific way multiple times over (2500 to be exact) but the way in which variable data is managed in Illustrator seems to make this task impossible or at least very clumsy to handle.

attachment.php

Each CSV file has 100 or so names (100 exactly I think) and there are 100 boxes. I need to be able to exchange a data set out for a new one and populate the boxes as shown in lots of 100.
As far as I can tell, InDesign is the only application with a way to do this, but do you think I can figure it out? I've tried internet tutorials, but they all seem to want to do business cards in mass and not anything similar to this, so I'm lost.

FlexiSign will do this. You autoserialize them. They just have to be in sequential order.

BrendanK

Hi guys,

attachment.php

This reply is a too late for this member but might help others in the future. I am a director with Pyxis software who develop both custom and off the shelf applications for the print and packaging sectors. One of our applications, PYXIS IMPOSED, would probably do this job in a much simpler way. While Pyxis Imposed is used a lot for imposition and numbering, both to sheet and to roll, it has an imposition module where you can import and merge variable data, including images. For this job, I would create a single piece or artwork, for just for one name. Export it as a pdf. Open this pdf in Pyxis Imposed's Variable Data Module. Import your CSV file. Draw your single field onto the artwork. Set your desired font size, style and alignment. Then Choose the Merge artwork option. This would create a multi-page PDF, one page for each name. You can then import this merged PDF into Pyxis Imposed main window. Choose your output sheet size or roll width. Tick an impose consecutive radio button, and then click the Impose Artwork button. There are videos and more details on explorepyxis.com And if you only have one job to do, there is a fully working free 30 day trial. Hopefully the above makes some sense.