• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable data on decals

MHester

I have a decal that I need to make which has sequential numbers on it. Ultimately, it's a small 2" X 1" sticker (contour cut) with a serial number on it and some minor graphics. I only need 1 of each decal, but each decal needs it's own sequential number on it, probably going from #1-250. There are probably 50 ways to go about doing it, but can someone recommend the easiest way? I prefer illustrator CC or indesign CC to design the layout then I'll get the sequential numbers from an excel spreadsheet. I prefer for all the decals to end up on one sheet, easy to print and cut using Flexi 10. I'm sure I'm not the first one who wants to do this, so I'm sure there is a "best way" that someone can recommend. Thanks in advance.

bannertime

It's been awhile since I've used Flexi 10, so I'm not 100% sure if it has it, but...

1) Design decal in Illy then import into Flexi
2) Add text for the numbers i.e. "000" Get it how you want it to look.
3) Select the whole decal and go to Arrange>Auto Serialize
4) Tell it how many rows you want and how many copies & select the "000" in the list.
5) Leave the file field blank and click next.
6) Use the Auto Serialize button to automatically fill in 1-250 in the blank spreadsheet
7) Finished and let it setup the rest for you.

You don't even need to create your own spreadsheet, but you can if you want to add other fields of data.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yep - as bannertime said. Variable data is built into Flexi. Just need the one decal designed. You can do it all right in Flexi or you can also use a spreadsheet to import the variable data as well.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Variable data is also built into InDesign. Make your single-up file in InDesign and run the variable data program to generate your new doc of all the "finished" data. Then export that into a PDF and then place those into a new IN or IL document. Protip: Put the "CutContour" spot color in the original document.

MHester

Excellent, thank you everyone. I'll try both apps for design and numbering. It's great to hear that Flexi does auto numbering, so I'll try that route first (thanks bannertime for the detailed directions). jfiscus, I'll try yours second, just to compare the two processes. I'll post an update.