• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable fonts?

shoresigns

What are you trying to do with them? I might be able to help.

Variable fonts are super useful for designing signs, as they allow you to fine tune the width or weight of the typeface without "stretching" the text or adding a stroke to artificially embolden.

signbrad

What are you trying to do with them? I might be able to help.

Variable fonts are super useful for designing signs, as they allow you to fine tune the width or weight of the typeface without "stretching" the text or adding a stroke to artificially embolden.

A client spec'd a font that was a variable font. All I want to do is type it in as is, without tweaking the strokes in any way. Does Signlab just not support variable fonts?

shoresigns

A client spec'd a font that was a variable font. All I want to do is type it in as is, without tweaking the strokes in any way. Does Signlab just not support variable fonts?

What is the name of the font? I don't think any type foundries are releasing fonts only as variable – we're not quite there yet. You should be able to get a regular old "static" version of the same font.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If the Variable Font shows up in the CAS application's font list (SignLab in this case) only the basic weight of the typeface will show up. I don't think any CAS applications on the market fully support Variable Fonts at this point; they don't even support all the standard features of OpenType, much less new type standards like Variable Fonts or OpenType-SVG. Adobe Illustrator is the only drawing application that fully supports all of those new type technologies. The latest versions of CorelDRAW and Inkscape support Variable Fonts.

FYI, Windows 10 includes the Bahnscrift typeface; it's an OTF Variable font with three variable axis sliders (width, weight and slant). Last time I checked all of the Variable fonts hosted at the Google Fonts page have only a weight axis. No width slider unfortunately.

I'd really like it if Microsoft re-worked Arial in OTF Variable format. If that happened (and CAS software companies improved their badly outdated type engines) we might see a good bit less of default Arial artificially squeezed and stretched on signs. A Variable font with a width axis will allow someone to set condensed or extended type that looks far more natural. Bahnscrift looks like a German DIN style typeface, so its use is a bit limited. Illustrator includes the Acumin Pro Variable Concept typeface, which looks more neutral.