• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable Speed with Potentiometer - Daige Solo and Equivalent Laminators

fredal

Hello All,
Has anyone tried using a potentiometer to alter the speed of a fixed speed laminator? Our company has recently started using a Daige Solo to mount wide format prints to substrates, and we are finding the speed is going to fast for our needs. We have purchased a speed control for a router to see if we can limit the amperage to the motor, like a dimmer switch to slow the speed. Has anyone tried this?

We have purchased this unit to create a variable speed solution:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHQ3G8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Thanks,
Fred

fredal

Daige Solo Speed Control

We were able to put a speed controller for a router on our Daige Solo 55". We were able to get the speed to modulate, but unfortunately the motor does not have enough torque to pull a board through with resistance at slower speeds. We are installing a stronger motor this week which is about 100 bucks, but with the modification we expect to have much more control over the machine.

Looks like we are hacking the machine until we get a better machine than Daige can build. Total cost for the mod is about 150.--

stickerman12

Any chance of changing the gear or sproket ratio? I do not know anything about how it gets power to the roller but that might be an option?