• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle vinyl

OCsteve

We will be 4 years old March 1st. In April of 2007, we hired Rob Ivers to train our installers in the nuances of vehicle wraps. After a week of training and $8000, our guys became "qualified" to wrap and have improved over the last three years. We have done approximately 60 full and partial wraps over the past three years and continue provide the service.

Here is my problem. On Mr. Ivers advice, our guys trained with Avery and are comfortable with the properties of the MPI 1005. Although I know most of you are not big fans of Avery we have had very few problems with the material until recently. We have had no problems with the 54" material but the last 4 rolls of 30" have had defects. No one at Avery seems to want to talk to me about the problem and suggest I deal with the distributor who sold me the product. Not what I wanted or expected to hear.

I feel it may be time to make a change. We tried 3M and the only issue, as far as our installers were concerned, was the agressiveness of the material. We tried Mactech and hated it. If I were to make the change
would you recommend 3M, Oracal or is there some other option out there. Most of our wraps need to last at least three years so I am not interested in a cheap solution.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

speedmedia

You cannot go wrong with 3M or Oracal their track record speaks for them. Both are great materials and both will last all of that granted they are utilized properly.

Thanks,
Kurt

WB

I agree 3M , Oracal or even Arlon is pretty good..

I've used all 3 they all have their advantages and dis.

Signs Express

I think you will find the Oracal to be very aggresive compared to the Avery and 3M. We've used quite a bit of Oracal 3951 standard and RA and never had an issue. We've recently tried a few rolls of Avery RS because it is significantly easier to install, but I've had to return one roll already because of surface defects. I'd love to give 3M a try, but their 3 yr. performance guarantee with our Roland inks is lacking compared to 5 years with the Avery and up to 7 with Oracal. It sounds like everyone who uses it, loves it though.

sjm

You cannot go wrong with 3M or Oracal their track record speaks for them. Both are great materials and both will last all of that granted they are utilized properly.

Thanks,
Kurt

Yes both good products, collecting on failures is another issue. I must admit though it was 10 years or better since I used both.

Letterbox Mike

If you think 3M is aggressive then you'll hate Oracal for sure. 3M 180C will feel like it has no adhesive at all compared to 3951. I'd go with 3M, it works a bit different than Avery but it shouldn't take long to get used to it and once you do you'll love it I suspect.

acothran

If you think 3M is aggressive then you'll hate Oracal for sure. 3M 180C will feel like it has no adhesive at all compared to 3951. I'd go with 3M, it works a bit different than Avery but it shouldn't take long to get used to it and once you do you'll love it I suspect.

+1