• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap Design Help Needed

Jpuggy83

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct forum to use, but I need some help with designing vehicle wraps. I have no experience designing vehicle wraps, and I just got a job working for brand new company designing vehicle wraps. We are using Digital Auto Library, Pro Vehicle Outlines and my boss's main concern is being able to match designs up from one side of the template to another. For example, if we have a barbwire fill, he wants it to be able to go all the way around from the side to the back to the other side seamlessly. We are using Adobe Illustrator for the design. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Another question, in the pro vehicle outline book, it says that we should confirm the measurements and such, and since there are no hood templates, we need to get the measurements for that are selves. However, my boss is under the impression that everyone in the industry does not confirm the measurements, and just goes off of the templates. Is this true? And if not, how do some of you go about measuring and designing your wraps?

I know this is long, but I am very screwed at the moment because it's my responsibility to try to figure out how to get things going. If anyone could give any advice I would appreciate it very much.

P.S. yes my boss knows I have no experience in vehicle wrap design, lol.

Wybjorn

You could be setting yourself up for a lot of reprints if you don't measure the vehicle. I install wraps and have seen how far off the size can be, also the design can be badly planned so that it hits windows and hardware. Templates are a 2-d guide for design, you should measure the vehicle to determine exact text placements and such. When your design is broken down to panels and extra is added, just add to the ends, don't stretch it, that can also make elements go where you don't want them.

doublesky

I have the same vehicle templates... the newest version. Printed a wrap last week without measuring and just going off the template. Guess what?! The template was wrong! I submitted it to the company and they are going to fix it, but that's after everything has been printed. SO to answer your question, always measure. Estimating works off a template, but don't ever trust those things 100%.

threeputt

I think the one way would be to photograph the vehicle. Be sure you're not taking an oblique angle. Get down low, too. Shoot it straight on from as close as the lens will allow. Then take one tight measurement, like the door. You need a dimension that is at least 4 feet long to have any chance at accuracy. Then enlarge your photo til it's that exact dimension.

We're still pretty new at this, so listen to more experienced people too.

Jpuggy83

Thanks so much for the advice so far. I am going into work in a little bit, and I will let my boss know what I have found out so far. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated!