• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Velvet textured polycarbonate decals

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I am looking for velvet textured polycarbonate decals, similar to the ones Gill Studios sells but this project requires a die cut adhesive - meaning the adhesive will not cover the entire back side. This is required because it covers over an LED light. I do have McLoone as a source, but was seeing if anyone knew of other sources. McLoone's prices and lead time are not the best, but this is a pretty unique product. TIA!

jochwat

Graphics Department
We've made control panels of polycarb/Lexan material with adhesive applied, and masked off the areas where we didn't want adhesive.

Take a look at the video below -- is this what you're looking for? Not sure if you're looking for the supplies, or someone who makes the end product... We got the materials from Graphic Marking Systems.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We've made control panels of polycarb/Lexan material with adhesive applied, and masked off the areas where we didn't want adhesive.

Take a look at the video below -- is this what you're looking for? Not sure if you're looking for the supplies, or someone who makes the end product... We got the materials from Graphic Marking Systems.

This is very interesting. We have equipment (not an Edge) to print them in-house, but the die cut adhesive (or "selective mask") is what stumped me. The video doesn't really go into detail on how that part works. So your actual cut needs to line up exactly with the mask for the clear windows? That seems tricky.

Glavin_ID

Jburton is right, we use what we call “sheet adhesive” (almost always 3M), cut out the area that needs to be relieved (selective adhesive). Then apply that to the already printed lexan and do a final perimeter cut. We usually use steel rule dies (due to quantity) to accomplish the adhesive cut and final cut but it can also be done on a flatbed cutter.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Shoot me a PM with a photo of the end product/adhesive setup.
I'm not 100% with you on the "selective adhesive" product, but I think it wouldn't be that hard to figure out.
I've got an idea how its done already but would have to see photos or a physical sample to be totally sure.
We make a TON of this style decal for the govt and other large manufacturers so I'd be glad to give you advice.

jochwat

Graphics Department
This is very interesting. We have equipment (not an Edge) to print them in-house, but the die cut adhesive (or "selective mask") is what stumped me. The video doesn't really go into detail on how that part works. So your actual cut needs to line up exactly with the mask for the clear windows? That seems tricky.

There's a little labor involved, but this is how it works (simplified version):

- Set up the Gerber artwork, and save two cut files (Selective Mask cut file, and final ContourCut file)
- Print the artwork onto Lexan
- Apply the selective mask material to the print side
- Cut the mask using the Selective Mask cut file, weed out excess
- Apply adhesive layer
- Cut the adhesive using the Selective Mask cut file again
- Re-cut once more with the ContourCut file
- Now the panels are ready to remove, any die cut holes popped out, and Selective Mask removed.

The Gerber cut files and the sprocket system of the printer/plotter keep everything in place.