• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm Help

Mikesbales

Ive got a Versacamm SP-300v that gets very little use. This morning I find a pool of ink on the floor below it and the excess ink bottle has overflown. Three of my ink cartridges that were apx 60-70% full two weeks ago (when I last used it) were empty. I opened up the front panel and everyrhing looks fine, no ink inside the printer. Anyways, my question is what could cause it to use so much ink while not in use, and what are the chances that the printer is seriously damaged?

I called the local dealer and they cant get out to see me until later next week. Ive got a set of new cartridges but im hesitant to print anything in case I may damage it more.

Also, since it wasnt in use I havent checked the excess ink bottle since Friday, when I emptied it and ran a test print.

Thank you in advance.

player

The sponges in the caps can swell, touch the heads and this can wick the in continuously similar to what you have experienced.

When did you last change the caps?

Another thing would be a damper leaking, but I think the caps are more likely. Especially if your test prints are good.

Mikesbales

The sponges in the caps can swell, touch the heads and this can wick the in continuously similar to what you have experienced.

When did you last change the caps?

Another thing would be a damper leaking, but I think the caps are more likely. Especially if your test prints are good.

I bought it used about five weeks ago from the original owner. The caps were changed in mid April according to the service record. I have no idea when the sponges were last replaced I cant seem to find any mention of it in the service log.

player

I bought it used about five weeks ago from the original owner. The caps were changed in mid April according to the service record. I have no idea when the sponges were last replaced I cant seem to find any mention of it in the service log.

The sponges inside the caps.

player

I would carefully take the shroud off the head carriage and see if the dampers look OK, and check
for ink leaking anywhere.

Mikesbales

Thanks for all the help guys. I got the roland tech out this afternoon and it was the caps. I guess somehow they didnt take in enough air during head cleaning and it caused a vacuum that sucked my cartridges dry. He couldnt explain how they went bad so quick but aah well.

player

Thanks for all the help guys. I got the roland tech out this afternoon and it was the caps. I guess somehow they didnt take in enough air during head cleaning and it caused a vacuum that sucked my cartridges dry. He couldnt explain how they went bad so quick but aah well.

Who ever installed the caps probably had them set too high, so the heads came down too far and touched the sponges...
If the caps are adjusted properly and you are just replacing them, you can just replace them without any adjusting.