• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCamm SP-300V Crazy test print

JeffInPcola

Anybody ever see anything like this problem? Please see attachment.

I just put in a used board. The magenta prints all over the place, except for where it's supposed to.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jeff
Dream-A-Sign

Attachments

• print test after board2.jpg
    print test after board2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

klingsdesigns

I have never seen or heard of that.. I have had weird stuff happen.. I always totally shut it off and unplug it and then turn it all back on. Usually fixes it for me.. hope its as easy as that..

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like your not getting a proper electronic signal to the head. It could be the refurbed board but I would check the head cables and slider cables for damage or corrosion on the leads first. What was the magenta printing like before you replaced the board?

JeffInPcola

It looks like your not getting a proper electronic signal to the head. It could be the refurbed board but I would check the head cables and slider cables for damage or corrosion on the leads first. What was the magenta printing like before you replaced the board?

No, in fact, I replaced the main board because the Blue/Black head wasn't working at all. The Mag/Yel head WAS working fine! Now the Blue/Black head works, and Yellow, but the magenta has gone crazy. Cables look good. I swapped cables to test heads, and the problem went to the other head during the test, so it doesn't seem to be a head problem either.

Thanks for any help folks :)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you swapped the cables and it switched heads It has to either be the cable or the board. You can isolate the problem by completely switching the cables. I am assuming that when you did the swap you just swapped the bottom part. So switch the cables completely top and bottoms and see if the problem switches to the other head. If it does then it is the cable for sure. If it stays in the magenta head the board is bad. If all the old board was doing was not printing black/cyan it is an easy fix. You just have to replace a soldered fuse. Its a few bucks for the fuse. If you can't solder you can send it in to have if fixed for between $100 and $200.

JeffInPcola

If you swapped the cables and it switched heads It has to either be the cable or the board. You can isolate the problem by completely switching the cables. I am assuming that when you did the swap you just swapped the bottom part. So switch the cables completely top and bottoms and see if the problem switches to the other head. If it does then it is the cable for sure. If it stays in the magenta head the board is bad. If all the old board was doing was not printing black/cyan it is an easy fix. You just have to replace a soldered fuse. Its a few bucks for the fuse. If you can't solder you can send it in to have if fixed for between $100 and $200.

I replaced a blown F3 fuse and a blown transistor on the old board, and the CK head still didn't work. I also have a new carriage board, and new CK head. Putting the used board in is the only thing that has gotten the CK head working again, and the Yellow works, but the Magenta (which had been doing fine) has now gone crazy with the new (used) board.

Since doing the swap test, I've completely replaced the cable to the magenta side of the head with no change. Do you mean I should also switch the wider cables that connect to the very top of the carriage board and go to the main board?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It sounds like the only place the problem could be coming from is the used board since the M/Y head was working fine with the old board. We have ruled out the cables and the head so in my opinion, it has to be the used board. The M/Y head can't be damaged because the cable swap allowed it to print correctly. There is a small possibility that while working on it you accidentally nudged the wider cables out of position so I would check that but it is a long shot that it would only affect the magenta side of the head. I would see if you can find someone who can test the board.

JeffInPcola

It sounds like the only place the problem could be coming from is the used board since the M/Y head was working fine with the old board. We have ruled out the cables and the head so in my opinion, it has to be the used board. The M/Y head can't be damaged because the cable swap allowed it to print correctly. There is a small possibility that while working on it you accidentally nudged the wider cables out of position so I would check that but it is a long shot that it would only affect the magenta side of the head. I would see if you can find someone who can test the board.

I pulled the wider cables out (carriage board and main board) and put them back in with no change. And the cable ends looked good. I guess it's the replacement board. Ugggg. Thank you very much for your time VanderJ.

enzo972

enzojmfstickertuning
hi,
i have the same problem with my sp300, could you tell me how do you solved it please..
Best regard and thank you for your help...: Notworthy:

JeffInPcola

hi,
i have the same problem with my sp300, could you tell me how do you solved it please..
Best regard and thank you for your help...: Notworthy:

I sent the refurb unit back to the tech I'd gotten it from, and I also sent my original main board to him (which was malfunctioning with a different problem). He was able to fix my original board, so that's the one he sent back to me. The print problem that this thread refers to was DEFINITELY due to something being wrong with the refurb board (because my printer worked perfectly after I installed my repaired original board). I hope your problem is something simpler and less expensive to fix. Good luck!

enzo972

enzojmfstickertuning
I sent the refurb unit back to the tech I'd gotten it from, and I also sent my original main board to him (which was malfunctioning with a different problem). He was able to fix my original board, so that's the one he sent back to me. The print problem that this thread refers to was DEFINITELY due to something being wrong with the refurb board (because my printer worked perfectly after I installed my repaired original board). I hope your problem is something simpler and less expensive to fix. Good luck!

thank you very much for your answer, here you are my problem : print black when i print only red and yellow !!! just after a manuel cleaner :covereyes:

130712025220919879.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffInPcola

Wow! That is horrible! My guess would be a problem with the main board. But, maybe it's a cable problem.

Anybody is free to jump in here :) Because I am definitely NOT a tech.

If you have any spare head cables, then I would go ahead and replace the ones on your machine (WITH THE MAIN POWER OFF WHILE YOU REPLACE THEM). If you don't have spare head cables, then WITH THE MAIN POWER OFF, you can swap the head cables from the C/K head with the cables from the M/Y head, top and bottom (a complete swap). If the problem continues but the colors are reversed, then you probably have a problem with your cables. If the problem continues EXACTLY the way it WAS, then you probably have a problem with your main board, or maybe with the cables going from the carriage board to the main board. My guess is still a main board problem, but again, I'm not a tech.

I'm afraid that is the extent of my knowledge on this issue. Please somebody correct me if I've said anything incorrect or incomplete! :)

dar_trin

Hi Solventinkjet,

I'm having this similar issue with my sp300 at this moment as seen in the picture below
(20200331_193532.jpg)
. This unit I got from a friend that was parked down for a few months, both heads, all dampers, cap tops, 36pin head cables, all 4 head cables were replaced. After all of this was done, this was the problem when I ran a print test in service mode, I also reversed the head (36p)cables and the print did vise versa as shown in pic
(20200331_212618[1].jpg) giving a perfect y/M print with black crazy print. I am stumped because my both head fuse are tested and good.. I literally ran out of ideas of why this can occur. Can you assist in shedding some light on what can possibly cause something like this?

Thanks in advance

Dar_trin

Attachments

• 20200331_193532.jpg
    20200331_193532.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
  • 20200331_212618[1].jpg
    20200331_212618[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
Last edited: