• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCamm SP300 i 30" or Mimaki CJV150-75, 42"

TonyLo

I'm Upgrading. I have an older SP-300v 30" I have Limited space, need cutter included. I'm wondering if I should stick with a 30" Rowland newer model SP 300 I or move to the Mimaki 42" which is priced really good due to a promo going on. Not sure about the reliability of the New Mimaki, Would appreciate suggestions.

easystickerco

Get a newer Roland SP300i, no learning curve, prints better & faster. Still has Epson print head. Uses same inks as your current model. I saw one in local dealer showroom in Pomona.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Get a newer Roland SP300i, no learning curve, prints better & faster. Still has Epson print head. Uses same inks as your current model. I saw one in local dealer showroom in Pomona.

Not sure where you got your info but the SP300i is not faster than the Mimaki CJV150-107 and it has a 2 generation newer Epson head so while they technically print the same exact resolutions, the DX7 head in the Mimaki has finer dot placement which makes it crisper looking.

The Roland will be more familiar to you but that is about the only advantage. Learning the Mimaki will be easy as you setup the files exactly like you setup the Roland files. The RIP will look different but it has the same functionality. I think the Mimaki with the current deals is a no brainer.

SP-300i max speed is about 70sqft/hr
CJV150-107 max speed is about 605sqft/hr

Last edited:

TonyLo

I meant faster than the SP300v that I currently have.
I probably did not say that very well. I am leaning towards the Mimaki, any things about that machine
good or bad you could share? Thanks Kindley for your help. Tony

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I meant faster than the SP300v that I currently have.
I probably did not say that very well. I am leaning towards the Mimaki, any things about that machine
good or bad you could share? Thanks Kindley for your help. Tony

I was replying to the second comment about the speed.

Just a disclaimer, I work for a company that sells these machines but I don't get commission or anything like that. I am a tech that works on these machine only.

The New Mimaki's are great machines and are built to last. They are fairly easy to use and maintain. The output is going to match or outperform most large format digital Epson based printers on the market. I personally believe they outperform the Rolands and they almost always beat Roland on price. The JV33 and CJV30 machines are from the generation before this latest version and they have held up very well. With the improvements on this latest version I would say they should last as long if not longer. You could get 10+ years out of this machine if you treat it right. The maintenance parts are easy to change and there are a ton of resources to learn how to use the machine to it's full potential.

One con is that switching between print and cut mode is slow and cumbersome. It is an automatic process but it get's annoying that it has to go through a relatively long initialization process between print and cut jobs every time. The Roland does this much faster but the print speed of the Mimaki makes up for that. Another thing that I don't like is there is a mechanism that puts tension on the material when you load it so that it goes in as straight as possible but it is flimsy and has a tendency to break or malfunction. It's a great idea but not engineered strong enough in my opinion. When it breaks you either have to take it off completely rendering it useless or try to fix it. The Mimaki only connects to your computer with a USB 2.0 connection which makes it harder to network if that is something you need out of the printer.