• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm VP540 "Now Processing" message

Scooter13

Hey all,
We have a Roland Versacamm VP540 that has been giving the "Now Processing" message during print jobs. I have looked on here and it seemed like similar people were having problems, and that it might be the network connection on the board of the printer. I recently was at an open house of the place that we purchased and provides service for Roland. I ran the scenario of it saying "Now Processing" and crashing, and that it might be the network connection on the board with the print sales/installer guy, (he laughed at me and rolled his eyes. He told me to look a the network connections (cords, hubs), then the virus protection. Which we did with no success.

Recently over Christmas and New Years, I left the printer turned on but unloaded the material. When I came back on Tue after New Years the printer was stuck on "Now Processing" , with no material loaded. It seems it was doing its normal periodic cleaning on its own and that's when it froze with "Now Processing" . To me it seems like it must be something on the printer causing this such as a board or motor. Any help or suggestions are appreciated as the dealer isn't giving us much help. Its an old machine bought in 2008, but we are just trying to keep this old dog going without spending a fortune.

cornholio

What are the scan motor hours? I had a failing scan motor giving this intermittent error once on a VS. On VP's I had many network problems. When this happened, only mainboard replacement helped. But, these boards are no longer available from Roland.

Scooter13

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what the scan motor hours are or how to check for it. Our Roland tech. did get back to me and said the same as you about it probably being a mainboard problem. I was going to do some searching on the forum and see if anyone has a mainboard. I'm not sure where else to look. I did a search on ebay and found someone repairing the boards but when I reached out to them they said they couldn't fix my problem.

Moojo

What are the scan motor hours? I had a failing scan motor giving this intermittent error once on a VS. On VP's I had many network problems. When this happened, only mainboard replacement helped. But, these boards are no longer available from Roland.
I am having the same problem and they told us today the main boards are not available and tried to sell us a new machine. Do you know the part number for a after market main board? Or where we can get one?

netsol

you can try inkjetperformsnce.com in georgia
he may hae a board, or he can offer an attempt at circuit board repair.

netsol

one additional thought.
i have fixed rolands for years & never seen this error.
cornholio certainly has more experience than me, (fixing wide format has never been a full time occupation for me)

it seems like an odd "mode" to get stuck in.

there is one thing i would try, before going down the rabbit hole of searching for a new or refurb systrm board
humor me, power down, shut off main power, take all the normal precautions, wait 15 minutes, etc...
remove the 2032 or 2016 button battery, invert it in the holder (like you would with a pc)
wait 5 minutes. replace battery in normal position. power back up.

it just suggests the board is waiting for some event to compete that is never going to happen

Scooter13

I just swapped out the 2032 coin battery. Going to see if this makes any difference. Figured for the price of a 2032 battery is well worth a shot.

truckgraphics

You might need a firmware update. I think that means an update to the machine, but it could be to Versaworks as we have done both.
Forgive me for being a bit vague. We had this problem several years ago and our local tech pointed us to the Roland website. If I were to hazard the cause of the problem, it has or had to do with a change in the sensors on the ink cartridges.

Now, does Roland still offer updates on this machine, I can't tell you. But what we did find out last an update was required, was that only the Japanese update site was still functional for out of date machinery.

Someone (else) at your Roland dealer certainly can point you to the correct location.

cornholio

You might need a firmware update. I think that means an update to the machine, but it could be to Versaworks as we have done both.
Forgive me for being a bit vague. We had this problem several years ago and our local tech pointed us to the Roland website. If I were to hazard the cause of the problem, it has or had to do with a change in the sensors on the ink cartridges.

Now, does Roland still offer updates on this machine, I can't tell you. But what we did find out last an update was required, was that only the Japanese update site was still functional for out of date machinery.

Someone (else) at your Roland dealer certainly can point you to the correct location.
What you describe, was a update, that is required for the old machines to recognise the cartridges with new chips. This update was looong ago...
It doesn't give the now processing message, it just behaves, like there is no cartridge chip present.