• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm vs. Dust

rsantos97

Almost everything I print comes out with some dust spec which messes up the print in the area it is in. My machine is clean as far as the print head goes and I tried wiping down the media but I can't get the dust away. Is anyone else having trouble with dust spots, and what can I try to avoid this? The spots are small and doesn't effect the whole print but it keeps it from being perfect, which is what I need it to be if I want to use it in final productions for costumers, unless that is a norm in the business. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

Barry

I think you will find that most of the dust is actually on the vinyl from the manufacture... I do have the same problem and wiping with a normal rag will not work all the time. I have some Electrostatic rags on order that should be here next week. Im hoping this will help.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No what you're experiencing is not normal. You need to narrow it down and your distributor should be right there helping you, since it's a brand new machine.

Does it do it on a different roll of vinyl? Perhaps you have some contaminated material.

Is your machine and/or your vinyl in a dusty area?

What effect has the hurricane coming through had on your operating environment?

Repeated power outages can cause unprinted spots, as can operating in an unstable environment as to temperature and humidity. Is the printer in an air conditioned room? Does it have an UPS battery with voltage regulation protecting it?

Lots of possibilities. Your machine wants a clean, stable environment, clean materials and stable electricity.

Keep us posted.

rsantos97

Thanks for the reply. I think it is the air that is dirty, because this place was leased to a dog grooming and day care business before me. The thing is that it is hard to clean everything because the place is pretty big and I know I would have to replace all of the ceiling panels cause there is some dust up there. It would have been nice if there was some type of vacuume attachment for the versacamm that would suck up all the dust from the media while it is being fed through.

I guess I will being investing some money and time into making this place extremely clean.

rsantos97

Barry said:
I think you will find that most of the dust is actually on the vinyl from the manufacture... I do have the same problem and wiping with a normal rag will not work all the time. I have some Electrostatic rags on order that should be here next week. Im hoping this will help.
I just noticed your post. I'll give it a try with some of those types of rags as well. I was thinking about it before but I didn't think it was too practical standing behind the machine constantly wiping the media. I will try it anyways though and clean the environment as much as possible.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might want to consider buying some box fans and air filters to reduce the problem. I've had three setups as shown in the picture running 24/7 for several years now and have almost zero problem with dust.

The fans are about $15 at Home Depot and the filters are about 3 for $8. We change the filters once a month.

Attachments

• AirFilter.jpg
    AirFilter.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 275

Baz

Eco-Sol inks seem to be verry prone to "Fish eye" as soon as it hits a dust particle. Since changing my Soljet to the EX upgrade my prints have had quite a few of them.

I'l be buying a air purifier and keeping it close to the area where the printer is.

Another thing i do to keep my media clean is that when not in use i have the rols standing up with the original plastic bag covering them.

Ladypainter

Fred Weiss said:
You might want to consider buying some box fans and air filters to reduce the problem. I've had three setups as shown in the picture running 24/7 for several years now and have almost zero problem with dust.

The fans are about $15 at Home Depot and the filters are about 3 for $8. We change the filters once a month.

What a great idea, Fred!
:thumb:

Barry

I have some of the electrostatic rags on order, Im going to try attaching them to the back of the machine so they drag onto the vinyl and pick up the any dust that is on it... Not sure if this will work or not, but Im gonna give it a shot... :D

On a side note I find that some types of media have less dust problems than other types.

rsantos97

Fred Weiss said:

:cool1:
Great idea, thats just what I needed. I'll be setting up two of those up tomorrow.