• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWork Variable Data: how to print 2 of the same decal with the same number???

Patentagosse

I'm used to print batch of decals for a printshop that are 0001 to 1300 but this order requires to have 2 identical decals side-by-side in roll form. I created the file in Ai with the appropriate box for the number, duplicated it and saved as EPS. When I open it in VW, I see the 2 decals side-by-side with box for the number but only one of the two as the number... but I see it has created a 2nd row of cells in the settings box so what I'm trying to figure is How Do I Copy The Left Row Cells into the Right Row??? If I type them manually, it works but no way I'm gonna type all the 1000 numbers one-by-one. Clicking on the right row tab and trying to open/import the same Excel file again doesn't works... it adds numbers at the end of the left row numbers...

If anyone ever attempted to do that and made it works, please lemme know before I turn down this job... I'm sure there's a way.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 71

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Soo what if you make them different names? Chiffre1 and Chiffre2.
Then have two columns with the names in the sheet and try to import?

Last edited:

Patentagosse

whatever I'm trying to do, it adds the numbers at the end of the 1st row instead of into the 2nd... frustrating.
I also have create 2 different VDS boxes with different names embedded into Ai file so when VW read it, it sees the 2 different data boxes but still can't reopen / import / transfer / copy-paste the datas of the 1st cell's row

Patentagosse

As long as you follow this I don't know why it wouldn't work the way it should.

I have read the whole section, again, and it all makes sense since it's to control all the different datas inside a single decals (1,2 or 3 data fields) but I can set everything up for 1, what I'm not able to do is to duplicate this setting so it prints 2 identicals decals side-by-side, in rows, so I can print 'em, and cut'em in roll for my customer.

He needs to put a decal on a big plastic reservoir and the 2nd one in a book for quality control so it would be more convenient if they were printed 2 at the time next to each other.

Patentagosse

As I said, I am able to do it when typing 'em one by one but nobody wants (read have time) to type 0001 to 1000 in cells, that's why these data files are created in Excel (I don't master Excel neither)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
But your job is the same as the example if you have two decals next to each other in your file. Same exact idea as in the manual.

However I don't know if there is a hard limit to the max number so maybe try only 50 rows in two columns and test just see if that works?
There might be a limit...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Are you pulling from a spreadsheet? Just enter the dups in the data your pulling in.
I'm sorry if that's been said already - I haven't read the whole thread.

Patentagosse

Are you pulling from a spreadsheet? Just enter the dups in the data your pulling in.
I'm sorry if that's been said already - I haven't read the whole thread.
Answer: yes
but I'm not doing it myself (spreadsheet) as I don't have a clue how Excel works. My friend did it for me.
You think that by creating a file with the 2 cells filled with according numbers it will falls in the right rows in VW? Might worth a try...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Answer: yes
but I'm not doing it myself (spreadsheet) as I don't have a clue how Excel works. My friend did it for me.
You think that by creating a file with the 2 cells filled with according numbers it will falls in the right rows in VW? Might worth a try...
It would just be like another number - but it's the same number that shows up twice (because you want two of them).

BigNate

... we do this all the time, especially to make tickets for school shows... just set up 2 identical images side by side and call it your original - then import the variable data into a field in each of the 2 images --- voila! 2 identically numbered images. You can duplicate the spreadsheet if your version of ai is not wanting to place the same data more than once on the same image (but at least the most current does not have a problem with this.)... To ai the original will look like a single graphic - you can even setup the first variable field and then use the copy paste to make sure you have the exact same thing for image 2....

Patentagosse

... we do this all the time, especially to make tickets for school shows... just set up 2 identical images side by side and call it your original - then import the variable data into a field in each of the 2 images --- voila! 2 identically numbered images. You can duplicate the spreadsheet if your version of ai is not wanting to place the same data more than once on the same image (but at least the most current does not have a problem with this.)... To ai the original will look like a single graphic - you can even setup the first variable field and then use the copy paste to make sure you have the exact same thing for image 2....

The numbers are added in VersaWork, not in my Ai... that's why I asked for tips on how to duplicate 'em in VW...

BigNate

you can use either program - we found ai is the easiest and most accurate in reproduction - use what works for you... remember you can still number in ai and then send it to VW....