• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Versaworks “not connected” mid print

backwoodsgirl

Hey guys I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this. I’ve got a vp-540 that usually runs great but last few weeks I’ve encountered Versaworksshowing the printer is disconnected at various stages of printing... very frustrating and wasteful. I’m on a pc and both the pc and printer are hard wired into my router.
Printer reads “now processing” until I shut it off.
I switched to a laptop (still wired) and still have the problem.
Is this a printer problem/software/router?

Versaworks has latest updates and machine has latest firmware.

backwoodsgirl

Figures. What does a main board run nowadays?

I ordered a cat5 crossover cable to try direct connect, to see if that’s any better.

UPDATE: I just realized I can use a regular cable, who knew! I printed 5 feet without a disconnect. Will see how it does this next week. Just maybe it’s my router after all. (Fingers crossed)

Last edited:

TimToad

Ours has been doing the same thing in cooler weather and after some research and inspection it appears to be a weak or failing solder on one of the capacitors or other small component on the motherboard. Figures it's probably a $5 part and a $1,500 cost plus labor to replace the whole motherboard. Ours only fails if the temperature near the printer falls below 75 degrees. Very frustrating and wasteful.

The work around we are using with 99% success until we decide to replace the printer this year is to place a small space heater behind the rear of the machine at the same level as the where the board is housed. As soon we arrive in the morning, the first thing we do is turn on the space heater and then run a print we call Roland Warm-up which is just a four foot long blank file to warm up the platen and rest of the machine. About 15 minutes of this routine usually cures it for the whole day.

timkaz227

Hey guys I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this. I’ve got a vp-540 that usually runs great but last few weeks I’ve encountered Versaworksshowing the printer is disconnected at various stages of printing... very frustrating and wasteful. I’m on a pc and both the pc and printer are hard wired into my router.
Printer reads “now processing” until I shut it off.
I switched to a laptop (still wired) and still have the problem.
Is this a printer problem/software/router?

Versaworks has latest updates and machine has latest firmware.
I have an SP-540v and used to get this all the time. In my case it turned out that one of the circuit boards was overheating . Usually if the ambient temp. in the shop got over 73+ degrees it would happen. In the end I removed the cover from the back exposing the circuit boards and but a little desktop fan on the wall blowing air across it. Sound cheesy but it has worked for many years.

backwoodsgirl

Wow opposite fixes. Interesting, I will keep this in mind if it happens anymore. Can’t tell you how much time I’ve wasted trying to resolve this and wouldn’t have thought it was temp related.

While we’re discussing Versacamms... does anyone know the difference in material profiles that say (RIPC) vs not?

E Coloney

Day 1
I have been struggling with this for a few days, as well. "Not Connected" error, "Incompatible Ink"error (after 11 years), failure to print: I removed 8 screws on XC-540, pulled the cover from the PC boards and positioned a fan on a step ladder to blow over the boards (there are TWO onboard fans already) and it seems to have fixed my problem. I'm about an hour into a job as I type this. Fingers crossed. -don't like the looks of it (duct tape, bailing wire, etc.) but if it works, I'll take it!
Edit:
Day 2
I had good success on day 1 but in the morning of day 2 I was back to failure.
I had ALREADY changed cables to no avail. Changed them AGAIN and ALSO changed the Ethernet switch to a WiFi router (to use the switch function) and that has worked for today. As I was putting the machine back together I tried the (old) switch with the new cables and the "Not Connected" error returned. Changed back to the WiFi router and it was OK. Changed back to the older cables with WiFi and the error returned. Changed back to WiFi router with newer cables and all OK again. I've concluded I had BOTH some bad cables AND a bad Ethernet switch. Will see what happens on Day 3.

Last edited:

oel10

Have you checked DHCP settings the IP number could change as this is not a set number for your machine. Typically it's better to have a static IP address for this device

I have encountered this same issue on the same machine.

I have an sp540v with bad heads but still prints. I might be selling soon

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks, looks like it doesn't apply to my machine so it doesn't matter if I use it or not.

It does still apply to some older models (eg. VS). Roland have just removed them from the list as they don't sell them anymore.
Our VS-540 even had a RIPC sticker on it when we bought it and the brochure for it still shows that it supports it:
http://support.rolanddga.com/Docs/Documents/departments/Marketing/Brochures, DataSheets and Books/VS Brochure.pdf

It is available on the VP-540:
http://www.signupdate.co.uk/Sign-News/roland-upgrade.html
It's controlled via profile, and leads to smoother prints with less banding. Perhaps do a print of a solid colour using both profiles and see if it makes any difference. RIPC should be smoother.