• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks 3.0 chokes

kev3232

Is anyone else having the same problem I am? Every now and then while I'm setting up a file in VW3, the hour glass pops up and the program chokes. I try to close the program and it pops up the "program not responding" window.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kev

What specific action(s) are you performing when VW locks up and stops responding? For example is it happening at the being the file is being added to VW (File > Add Job to Queue x), or at the point that the job is being sent to production (RIPped and printed)?

Note that there are some file types (TIF with LZW compresson for example) that cannot be processed in VW. There are also some pixed file size limitations (they are quite large) for raster files.

Bob

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
This may or maynot be your problem, but from what I understand the online update must be done from a recent previous version. I believe it's nothing before 2.7
Others on here have had some issues also. Do you know what your previous version was before the download?

kev3232

Bob,
All I did was hit the "ok" button after I got done setting up the print parameters. It was a PS EPs file only 24"x36" big. It seems to do it no matter how big the file and it's very random.
Mike,
I got the printer about 6 months ago and Im pretty sure it was 2.7.

Kev

osmasterflex

i got my printer about the same time as you, i updated my Versa works a few days ago, and i havent noticed those problems...How much ram is in your computer?

I have not experienced those issues with VW3 (not to day that you are not, however). I
would suspect some local issue with the Windows environment that is causing occasional conflict with VW, but I have no idea what that might be.

Bob

SoCalN8V

Kev, we had the same problem - Click "OK" and it locks up. Our Roland tech had us re-initialize the application. When you do that, though, you have to re-enter the IP address because Versaworks will ask you for it first thing after the re-initialize.

G-Man

As a suggestion;

Given you have your original software CD;
**Open Versaworks and goto Printer Status and make a note
of the IP Address as you will need it if you reinstall the software.
1) go to control panel and uninstall the current software.
2) restart the system
3) Reinstall your original version
3a) Enter the IP Address noted in the step above
4) goto online update
4a) select the update but do not install all languages,
specifically select only the software and profiles
your printer.

Various update versions have acted strange in the past with some
of my customers. This process usually cleans it up.

If you are uncomfortable with this process, contact Tech Support from where you purchased your Roland. If that is not a viable option contact Roland Tech Support as they will be glad to help you with your issue.

kev3232

Thanks for the help guys!

I had a computer built strictly for running the printer so who knows, it could be something with the OS. It's the first machine I've bought from this computer outfit in town so who knows what the deal is.
I did the re-install a few weeks ago and it still seems like it chokes every now and then.
I've been printing most of the weekend and it's only locked up twice (still enough to be annoying).

Kev

SignsOfMaine

Probably nothing to do with your issue, but is there anything funky about the files that are locking up? Gradients? Pattern fills? Maybe a weird double-byte or multiple master font? A bitmap that somehow ended up with a weird resolution like 5ppi or 900ppi? Will it lock up even on a totally plain file? Can you do anything to intentionally make it lock up every time?

Do you use photoshop EPS's often? I find photoshop EPS to be a funky format that isn't like a true EPS, especially as I'm never sure if the fonts are going to be vector or raster (usually raster). I'd trust an illy EPS or PDF before PS EPS.

anotherdog

I'm getting the same issue, however it happens when I'm doing two things at once, say trying to open a files job settings while another is ripping.
It can be a little flakey, and I think it may be getting slightly worse with time... or that could just be me getting more grumpy with time.

kev3232

SOM,
It was just a cropped out part of a PS EPS file that I was printing on perf. I saved the file the exact same way I do for all my PS print files. This piece was only about 30"x36". I ran the rest of the job (38' x 50" and it crashed once, restarted and it worked fine.
All I did was resize 400%, change material to View thru vinyl then hit OK. Then the spinning hourglass popped up and stayed there. I'm running XP on the machine with NOTHING else on it. I had them build the machine with just the basics, no fluff.
VW has been pretty unstable since I upgraded to 3, never had issues with the old version, might just go back and see if the old version gives me less grief.

THANKS FOR THE HELP ALL!

kev

G

gps-hi

I was having similar issues until I disabled Input for queue B... not sure why that would cause an issue, but it seems to resolved it for me. Luckily I'm only driving a single printer off the versacamm so having it disable isn't an issue.

kev3232

i'll try that and see if that works. damn program choked about a dozen times over the last 3 days and it's really starting to drive nuts!! especially when i haven't had any trouble for about 2 weeks now.

k

DTFuqua

One thing you may or may not have thought about is the quality of parts the computer shop used to build the computer itself. Some, even some of the not so cheep memory makers, memory chips (other parts too) can (found in the past) have slight flaws and cause intermittent errors

DRamm76

Could also be the size of the file you're working with. Is it all files or just a certain type?

This is also going to sound a little nutty but are you using Flexi also and are both programs open? You wouldn't believe how many people have experienced lock ups and crashes when both programs are open..Odd..trust me