• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks File Error

ImpactSignCo

attachment.php

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone else has come across this error with Versaworks and what they did to remedy it. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. My usual fix is to simply restart Versaworks and/or my computer, trying to clear the cache. After restarting, I am usually able to input the exact same file that was causing the error successfully. Today, I did just that and two files later, it came back.
I am running Versaworks 5.5 on a Windows 10 machine.
Thanks!

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 285
You do not mention what the file format of the offending file(s), but I am guessing that they are likely some type of Postscript-based file, such as EPS or PDF. These files are more prone to causing RIP errors and output anomalies than simple raster-based formats like TIF or JPG.

If the file is postscript-based, try the following steps in the design application (Illustrator / Corel etc):

1) Reduce or eliminate vector effects where possible, including transparency and filter effects.
2) Where they cannot be eliminated, attempt to flatten them.
3) If that doesn't give the desired effect, rasterize those objects only
4) Worst-case is to bring the file into Photoshop and rasterize the entire thing there. This will remove spot colors and convert cut paths into pixels, so this is really the last option. Save as an Uncompressed TIF for best results.
After doing this step, you would need to being the pixel-based file back into a vector design app like Illustrator to add cut paths or other vector objects.

Paul

ImpactSignCo

The file type is PDF or EPS due to adding Contour Cut Lines, so flattening/rasterizing it really isn't an option.
I know that Verwaworks in a bit finnicky about a lot of transparencies and effects, so I don't add them often or at all without flattening. In this case, it's a flattened bitmap with a circle overlay for a contour cut line. Pretty basic, so I'm not sure why Versaworks keeps kicking it back.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I've noticed this glitch happening more frequently over the past few months. It's odd that simply rebooting VW resolves it. This isn't an issue of an effect or file type color setting etc.., I can simply reboot VW and the exact same offending file loads, fairly empty due and all.

ImpactSignCo

The only frustrating part is that we run three machines off of Versaworks, so when the error occurs and I am trying to upload to Versaworks while something is printing, I have to wait the length of the print before I can restart Versaworks to add more files. And watching printers print is like watching grass grow when we are trying to get things done...

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
The only frustrating part is that we run three machines off of Versaworks, so when the error occurs and I am trying to upload to Versaworks while something is printing, I have to wait the length of the print before I can restart Versaworks to add more files. And watching printers print is like watching grass grow when we are trying to get things done...

Agreed, it's incredibly frustrating to have to wait for one printer to finish it's task before being able to load other jobs.