• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks, gradients and complex paths. Completely fails to render across versions

MDKAOD

Hey everyone, tough problem I'm going to try to articulate properly here. This might be more of an Illustrator > InDesign problem but Onyx renders properly, but here goes:

So I have a raw single AI file with two spot colors and a complex path (a stretched QR code, basically) that goes over a span of 5 inches that has the gray spot color gradient from 100%-0% transparency. This AI file is then linked through InDesign to duplicate and size it to the final (various) sizes (6x168 for example). This is attached.

Now, in Versaworks, I have SEVERAL issues at this point.

1) VW refuses to render the gray in this barcode at all. It "sees" the spot color, but doesn't render it.
2) Upon converting the gray from a names spot color to CMYK values, Versaworks renders all gray, except the complex path with the gradient
3) Upon rasterizing the gradient, VW renders the file properly.

So, great, now I can print the barcode. Problem, I have to print it on clear vinyl and need a white spot color for an underlay.

Normally, I'd just duplicate the vector work and change the spot colors to RDG_White and be honky dory and print. This file refuses to allow that:

1) Redraw in Illustrator new vectors (not including the complex path) with the RDG_White spot color. Renders fine in VW.
2) Copy the complex path and simplify the object and add a new gradient with RDG_White with opacity going from 100%-0%. Renders..kind of. See attached 2.
3) After various tests, I get renders like attached 3.

Does anyone have any idea how I may overcome this? Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• dataline_40x600_pantone - ORIGINAL DATALOGIC PROVIDED-01.jpg
    dataline_40x600_pantone - ORIGINAL DATALOGIC PROVIDED-01.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 115
  • barcodeVWrender1.jpg
    barcodeVWrender1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 65
  • barcodeVWrender2.jpg
    barcodeVWrender2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 79