• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWorks won’t recognize GR’s or print to XR

Justin Lappen

For the past two months we’ve been running our production with 1 XR-640 and 2 GR-640’s off the same computer/VersaWorks. It’s been beautiful!! We print all day and night and only need one shift to laminate and cut to get caught up.

We learned early that VW will quit and stop printing if either GR get turned off. They must break the network connection or something. So they both stay on all night to make sure the XR can print while we’re not there.

Last week, one of the GR’s came unplugged while the XR was printing causing it to error in the middle of a print. From that point on the XR has not been able to print again. VW sees the printer and outputs it but then comes back with an error. We’ve uninstalled all three pieces, bought a new powder strip and network hub and unplugged the GR’s and finally got the XR to print again. Then the new power strip with the network hub tripped today and the XR won’t output anymore.

We’re running the latest VW and firmware on all machines. The machines are all connected with Ethernet back to a hub which then goes to the computer. This computer is only used for VW and outputting. All our design work is done elsewhere.

Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
This might be a stupid question, but... Have you tried plugging directly into the computer to rule out the hub being the problem? Or might be a power issue if you power bar keeps tripping.

Justin Lappen

This might be a stupid question, but... Have you tried plugging directly into the computer to rule out the hub being the problem? Or might be a power issue if you power bar keeps tripping.
Not a stupid question at all! Just tried that and still the same issue here. We’ve set everything back up the original way and no luck making any connection to output

Zoogee World

One last thing I'd suggest if you haven't already tried, run a new ethernet cord, restart both the print and Versaworks and try that. Also, just to confirm, the other machines are still working correct, just your XR is giving troubles?

Justin Lappen

One last thing I'd suggest if you haven't already tried, run a new ethernet cord, restart both the print and Versaworks and try that. Also, just to confirm, the other machines are still working correct, just your XR is giving troubles?
I’ll give that a try now. Thanks! The XR says it’s connected in VW but won’t output, it keeps giving an error. Neither GR will be detected in VW to allow us to install them.

Zoogee World

Oh, that for sure sounds like a network issue. make sure you have the correct IP (you can check that on the machine). But if it works for the XR, try it on the GR's too.

Justin Lappen

So I’ve reset all the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway. I can ping all three items and get a successful response. The XR will now print but VW still refuses to acknowledge either GR. I’ve been able to pull them up in the computers printer settings and actually get the active media width. That proves they are connected with the computer successfully and communicating properly.

Any ideas why VW is still showing me this error?

Justin Lappen

What are you using for a network hub?
we’re using a tp-link for the switch and connected that to the router.

XR is back up but the GR’s won’t get picked up on VW. They’re connected to the computer for sure though, I was able to pull media width in the computers printer settings folder. Thank you for your help!

Zoogee World

we’re using a tp-link for the switch and connected that to the router.

XR is back up but the GR’s won’t get picked up on VW. They’re connected to the computer for sure though, I was able to pull media width in the computers printer settings folder. Thank you for your help!
That is very strange, and just to confirm, you have Versaworks 6, and they were all working with Versaworks prior to this issue popping up?

Justin Lappen

That is very strange, and just to confirm, you have Versaworks 6, and they were all working with Versaworks prior to this issue popping up?
Yea, we’ve been running this setup for 2 months now. Last week was our first issue with it. It’s very puzzling. I’m uninstalling VW now and giving that a try

I appreciate your quick responses and help